Shin splints are a common ailment that affects many athletes, especially runners and even dancers. Getting a shin splint is an easy way to slow you down and prevent you from performing your best. A shin splint can be described as a sharp pain that runs along your tibia – the large shin bone at the front of your lower leg.
A shin splint affects the tendons, tissues, and muscles surrounding the tibia. They become inflamed and swollen and cause us pain when we try to repeatedly use those muscles and tendons for long and strenuous periods.
Most commonly, a shin splint can come from simply wearing poor-quality footwear for a long time while exercising. Other things that can cause a shin splint include running or dancing incorrectly (which strains your shin muscles) and running too often on hard surfaces. Over time, this impact on the ground takes a toll on the leg muscles and causes discomfort.
Luckily, a shin splint is not an overly serious issue, but they do cause considerable pain, especially if you run or dance daily. It is important to know when your body is telling you to take a break. If you don’t reduce how much you are running or exercising when you notice you have pain in your shin, it could cause a more serious injury in the future.
Rest and icing of your muscles, along with a bit of light stretching, can usually heal a moderate shin splint. If the pain is more severe, you may need to take some muscle pain medication and take a short break from your activities to heal properly.
An easy way to help prevent a shin splint is by investing in a good, long-lasting running shoe. Most shin splint sufferers look for a running shoe with a flexible sole and lots of cushioning for added comfort and support, along with a relatively short heel. Today we will review some of the best running shoes for shin splints so you can keep running, walking, or dancing pain free.
1. Brooks Men’s Adrenaline GTS 20
- THIS MEN'S SHOE IS FOR: Runners who need a perfect blend of support, cushion, flexibility, and reliability. The modernized, streamlined design satisfies runners who crave a low-profile look.
- SUPPORT AND CUSHION: Provides just the right amount of stability and support, great for overpronation while providing high energizing cushioning. Ideal for road running, cross training, the gym or wherever you might want to take them! Predecessor: Adrenaline GTS 19
- BALANCED, SOFT CUSHIONING: The DNA LOFT Crash Pad cushions each footfall and works with BioMoGo DNA to adapt to your every stride.
- MODERNIZED FIT: A new streamlined, engineered mesh upper with 3D Fit Print offers the structure and proven fit the Adrenaline is known for-without excess bulk.
- GUIDERAILS HOLISTIC SUPPORT SYSTEM: We've shifted our focus beyond the feet to the most injury-prone part of a runner’s body: the knees. GuideRails keep you moving comfortably by keeping excess movement in check.
First up on our list is the Brooks men’s Adrenaline GTS 20 running shoe. This shoe is great for people who are prone to shin splints because they are a great stability shoe and provide and support.
The DNA LOFT Crash Pads are built-in cushions to support and comfort every step, which works alongside the BioMoGo DNA technology for extra softness and comfort. They have great shock absorption and are fairly lightweight considering the amount of support and cushioning they have.
These shoes are also known to help with motion control, which is ideal for runners who are prone to shin splints since they will help guide your feet, so you are not straining your legs or running incorrectly.
The new 3D Fit Print engineered mesh upper offer a breathable and snug fit, however; the toe can be a bit narrow for people with wider feet. You can find the Brooks Adrenaline GTS on Amazon US in a variety of colors, for under $200.
- Built-in DNA LOFT Crash Pad cushions for lots of comfort and cushioning
- Lightweight and breathable engineered mesh upper
- Toe area can be a bit narrow for wider feet
2. Saucony Women’s Triumph 17
- PWRRUN+ gives you a spring and responsive underfoot feel that keeps you going strong and feeling fresh.
- FORMFIT acts like a lixurious bucket seat to your foot, confirming to you for the perfect fit and providing comfort from every angle.
- With cushioning that's 25% lighter than our previous best, the lightweight comfort of these shoes means you'll never feel like somethin's holding you back.
Our next recommendation is a women’s running shoe called Triumph 17 by Saucony. This shoe has excellent cushioning and shock absorption with its thick and bouncy sole, making it perfect for running on hard surfaces that can easily lead to a shin splint. They are made using Saucony’s PWRRUN+ cushioning, which adds a spring to your step and provides a responsive underfoot feel.
They are also very lightweight as this unique kind of cushioning is 25% lighter than the average cushioning materials used. As a bonus, they are also built with a FORMFIT design which molds to the foot for the perfect fit. Nothing is worse than running with a shoe that does not sit right on your foot. You can find these shoes on Amazon US for under $100 in four different colors.
- Cushioning is specially designed and 25% lighter than average shoe cushioning
- Great for hard surface running like roads or sidewalks
- Does not have amazing support qualities
3. ASICS Men’s Gel-Kayano 26 (4E) Running Shoe
- I.G.S (Impact Guidance System) Technology - ASICS design philosophy that employs linked componentry to enhance the foot's natural gait from heel strike to toe-off.
- SpevaFoam 45 Lasting - Employs 45 degree full length SpevaFoam 45 lasting material for a soft platform feel and improved comfort.
- FlyteFoam Lyte Technology - ASICS lightest weight midsole formulation that provides continuous cushion thanks to organic nano fibers.
- FlyteFoam Propel Technology - ASICS energetic foam formulation that provides supreme bounce thanks to a unique elastomer compound.
- DuoMax Support System - A dual density midsole system positioned to enhance support and stability, positioned sport specifically.
The next shoe on our list is the ASICS men’s Gel-Kayano running shoe. This shoe combines multiple different cushioning and support technologies to provide those who are prone to shin splints with a shoe they can count on. It uses FlyteFoam Lyte Technology to provide you with a lightweight midsole that is made of organic nanofibers that provide cushioning and comfort.
Not only is there supreme cushioning, but it also has FlyteFoam Propel Technology which is an energetic foam that adds bounce to your step. The I.G.S (Impact Guidance System) Technology is designed to “enhance the foot’s natural gait from heel strike to toe-off,” and the Trusstic System technology allows the shoe to feel lightweight and breathable without sacrificing any support qualities. These Asics shoes are available for purchase on Amazon US in a variety of colors.
- Uses several different technologies to bring exceptional cushioning and support
- Lightweight and breathable
4. HOKA ONE ONE Womens Clifton 6 Running Shoe
Next up is the women’s Clifton 6 running shoe from the brand HOKA. This running shoe is a great choice for athletes who suffer from shin splints because of their excellent shock absorption and cushioning material. The cushioning is made of a superior plush EVA material that provides the necessary comfort and support needed.
This cushioning also decreases the pressure or impact on the toes and heels, which is great for running or walking on hard surfaces.
They have wide, thick soles which provide comfort and support for smooth and comfortable running. They are also lightweight and breathable since they are made with specially engineered mesh upper.
Since they are so lightweight and comfortable, these running shoes can double as everyday casual shoes, so you can be supported no matter what you’re doing. You can find these shoes on Amazon US in six different colors for under $300.
- Cushioning made of superior plush EVA material
- Wide and thick soles for running on hard surfaces
5. Mizuno Women’s Wave Inspire 16 Waveknit Running Shoe
- This favorite stability trainer with a WAVEKNIT upper is a workhorse. Use for fast track workouts All the way up to a marathon distance
- Smoothride support wave brings an ideal balance of cushion and lightness in every step
- Premium Sockliner for increased cushioning and comfort
- All new WAVEKNIT upper for a soft and breathable fit
- X10 outersole for increased durability; Drop: 12 mm
Next is the women’s Wave Inspire 16 Waveknit running shoe by Mizuno. This running shoe is great for people who are prone to shin splints and prefer to run longer distances. It is built with a waveknit upper which is great for track workouts or marathons. This shoe is the ideal combination of supportive and lightweight construction, and the new WAVE upper makes for a breathable and comfortable fit. It has an X10 outsole that is strong and durable, and it features a Premium Sockliner for added cushioning and comfort. You can purchase this running shoe on Amazon US for under $150 and they are available in four different colors.
- Premium Sockliner built-in for extra comfort and cushioning
- Great shoes for running longer distances
- We can’t seem to find any cons about this product!
6. New Balance Women’s Fresh Foam Evare V1 Running Shoe
- Made for Runners: With impressive softness for your daily runs, these cushioned running shoes are designed specifically for those who love to run. A molded sockliner adds to the luxuriously soft feel
- Breathable and Durable Kids Running Shoes: The synthetic and mesh upper provides incredible breathability and a durable fit and feel, while the strong rubber outsole adds traction and durability
- Durable No-Sew Tip: These New Balance kids' running shoes feature a no-sew tip for durability, in addition to a sleek fit and feel, which is great for long days of outdoor play and nonstop fun
- The Perfect Fit for Active Kids: This pair of comfortable kids' running shoes provides a solid yet comfortable fit, perfect for your little one to wear at school, during practice or on the playground
- Cool Appearance: The crowd-pleasing, athletic styling of these kids' performance shoes will make every step stand out. Busy kids will love the eye-catching colors as they streak across the field
The last comparable on our list is from New Balance and it is the women’s Fresh Foam Evare V1 running shoe. Although you can wear them as everyday shoes, these were designed especially for runners. They are built with a molded sock liner that is soft and comfortable on your feet.
They have a comfortable and cushioning Fresh Foam midsole. They have a breathable yet sleek fit due to their lightweight engineered mesh uppers with no-sew overlays. In addition, the Ground Contact EVA outsole provides durability and support for running on various surfaces. You can purchase this running shoe on Amazon US for under $200 and they are available in six different colors.
- Molded sock liner fits individual feet
- Fresh foam insole provides cushioning and comfort
- Have a thicker outsole which some people may not prefer
Now that we have looked at some of the best running shoes available for people with shin splints, let’s go over some of the key features you should look for to choose the best option to help reduce your shin pain.
One of the most important features of a shoe that can make a difference for people who are prone to shin splints is good-quality cushioning. Depending on how severe your shin splint is and how often you go for runs or walks, you will need different cushioning thicknesses or materials. Some shoes are made with foam or gel cushioning, but several brands use their own specially formulated material.
The Right Fit and Comfort
Alongside cushioning, you want to make sure the shoe fits your foot type correctly and comfortably. If you suffer from shin splints fit is increasingly important to avoid the risk of worsening your injury.
Next, you want to consider the outside of the shoe and make sure the outsole is strong and durable. You want your foot to be supported while walking or running and that the shoe has a solid tread that won’t wear down easily.
Lastly, you will have to consider the price depending on what your budget is. For people who are prone to getting shin splints, we recommend investing in a quality shoe that will last a long time. A good running shoe or walking shoe can help decrease pain and even though they are rather expensive, they are good quality and trusted brands.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Q: Should I keep running with a shin splint?
A: As much as we know running is an activity so many people love, it is best to rest for a week or two until the pain goes away. If you keep running without treating the pain it is only going to worsen over time, eventually keeping you from your runs again.
Q: Can a good running shoe prevent a shin splint?
A: Yes! A the right running shoe can help prevent you from getting shin splints by supporting and cushioning your feet as you run, especially on hard surfaces. Shoes are not a foolproof way to prevent them, but you will have a lesser chance of getting shin splints when wearing a solid pair of running shoes.
Q: Do compression socks help with shin splints?
A: Compression socks are good for increasing blood flow and oxygen throughout your feet and legs. More oxygen and blood flow throughout your legs can help reduce inflammation in the muscles and tissues surrounding your tibia, helping reduce the chance of shin splints.
In conclusion, a shin splint can be a painful injury that causes your muscles, tendons, and tissues surrounding your tibia bone to become swollen and inflamed. This often happens to people who run, walk, or dance a lot. If left untreated, a shin splint can cause more severe problems over time.
An easy way to help reduce the pain or even prevent shin splints is investing in the right shoe designed for runners. Most are lightweight with excellent cushioning and support that are comfortable to wear even when not running or walking. Investing in the best running shoes for shin splints can help you keep running, walking, or dancing without shin splint pain.
Last update on 2021-09-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API