Volleyball is a popular sport among many men and women, and although not a ton of running is involved, it is still a very physical activity. Between jumping to swat the ball over the net or sliding to reach the ball and bump it, you definitely break a sweat and get a good workout from a game of volleyball.
Similar to other sports like basketball or soccer, volleyball has specially designed shoes that support your ankles during the constant jumping and lunging.
Indoor volleyball courts are often waxed to a slippery shine, similar to an indoor basketball court. Some volleyball players use chalk to help combat calluses on their hands, which can make the court dusty and create a slipping hazard. Volleyball shoes are designed to combat this and prevent you from slipping or skidding across the floor.
Some are built with higher tops to support your ankles so that they don’t become sore from all the jumping performed during a game. Since the game also involves a lot of pivoting and quick movements on your feet, volleyball shoes provide stability and also support soft landings for the jumps.
These movements are known to put stress on the heels and midsoles of your feet since those areas absorb most of the shock. Looking for a shoe with a strong midsole is important so some of this stress can be relieved from your feet.
Today we are going to look at some of the best volleyball shoes for playing on an indoor volleyball court. We will go over and compare key shoe features including durability, support, grip, comfort, and more. Hopefully, this article will help you choose the right volleyball shoe so you can enjoy playing the game without worrying about causing stress on your feet and legs.
1. ASICS Women’s Gel-Rocket 9 Volleyball Shoes
- Take your performance to the court with the ASICS® GEL-Rocket® 9 volleyball shoe!
- Lightweight mesh upper with synthetic overlays provide structured support and comfort.
- Foam-padded collar and tongue.
- Breathable mesh lining and a cushioned footbed provide added cushioning.
- Traditional lacing closure for optimal fit. Molded-EVA midsole provide enhanced cushioning and shock absorption. Features a rear and forefoot GEL® Cushioning System that offers shock-absorbing support at toe-off and offers superior movement and support through the gait cycle. Designed with Trusstic System® Technology that reduces the weight without compromising the structural integrity of the shoe. Rubber and gum rubber outsole containing more natural rubber content than traditional soli
The first shoe on our list of the best indoor volleyball shoes is the ASICS Women’s Gel-Rocket 9 Volleyball Shoe. They are a lightweight shoe thanks to the built-in Trusstic System Technology that is made to help you achieve your best performance on the court.
They have a breathable mesh upper and inner lining so moisture and sweat don’t build up in your shoe during the game. The shoes have a foam padded collar and tongue for comfort along with a cushioned footbed. The Molded-EVA midsole molds to your foot for the perfect fit and added comfort.
A nice feature about this ASICS volleyball shoe is the rear and forefront gel cushioning system. This provides shock absorption and excellent support when jumping, and the gum rubber sole provides a solid grip against the dusty floors. You can purchase this pair of volleyball shoes on Amazon US for under $150 and they are available in four different colors.
- Rear and forefront gel cushioning system provides shock absorption and comfort
- Breathable mesh upper and lining keep your feet cool during the game
- Not a high-top shoe so may not provide enough ankle support if needed
2. adidas Originals Women’s Crazyflight Bounce 2 Volleyball Shoe
- Bounce cushioning provides enhanced comfort and flexibility
- Lightweight mesh upper with integrated TPU yarn reinforcements for stability and decreased abrasion
- Lockdown lacing system
- Wide forefoot platform for lateral support and mobility
- Top-grip asymmetrical rubber outsole for maximum control and lateral support on indoor surfaces
Next up is the women’s Crazyflight Bounce 2 volleyball shoe from adidas. This shoe is great for volleyball players with its wide forefront platform which helps with lateral movements and stability. It has bounce cushioning which provides comfort and support and features a lockdown lacing system which is perfect since having a loose shoelace can be a major interference during a volleyball game.
This shoe has a lightweight mesh upper to allow for breathability and to keep your foot cool and dry in the game. The uppers are built with integrated TPU yarn reinforcements which assist in decreasing abrasion and helps with stability.
The top-grip asymmetrical rubber outsole is designed with anti-slip properties for stability and support, specifically for indoor volleyball courts. You can purchase this adidas volleyball shoe on Amazon US in three different colors for under $150.
- Lightweight and breathable mesh upper to keep your feet cool
- Top-grip asymmetrical rubber outsole is ideal for indoor surfaces and helps prevent slipping
- Not a high-top shoe so may not provide enough ankle support if needed
3. Under Armour Women’s Highlight Ace 2.0 Volleyball Shoe
- Lightweight, fully knit upper provides flexible support & complete comfort
- Mesh details in forefoot for added breathability
- Extended ankle collar is super stretchy for easy on/off with excellent retention for extra support & control
- Webbed, lockdown lacing system for increased stability & a customized fit
- Breathable mesh tongue features woven wordmark tab detail
The third shoe on our list is from the Under Armour brand. It’s the women’s Highlight Ace 2.0 volleyball shoe. This shoe is a high-top volleyball shoe which means it provides lots of ankle support which is great since volleyball requires so much jumping.
The extended ankle collar is stretchy and comfortable and makes it easy to put the shoe on and take it off. It also has excellent retention and provides the necessary support volleyball players require.
The upper is fully knit and lightweight and the mesh details in the forefront of the shoe provide breathability. The shoe also has a mesh tongue for added breathability which will keep your foot cool during high-intensity games. They also use a webbed lockdown lacing system to keep everything tight and ensure your laces don’t come undone in the middle of a play.
It has a comfortable and supportive cushioning midsole that helps absorb impact, and the soles are engrained with a full rubber herringbone traction pattern that provides grip and control. You can find these shoes on Amazon US for under $100 and they are available in seven different colors.
- Affordable considering all the built-in features
- Has excellent ankle support with an extended ankle collar that is comfortable and stretchy
4. Mizuno Men’s Wave Momentum Indoor Court Shoe
- 3-Layer No Sew Upper
- For an overall incredible fit and feel.
- Booty Construction: Located inside the shoe to provide a soft and secure fit.
Now we will move on to some of the best volleyball shoes for men, starting with the Wave Momentum Indoor court shoe by Mizuno. This shoe is built with a unique Mizuno Wave plate that provides a stable platform and excellent cushioning.
The parallel wave plate helps disperse the energy upon impact from jumping to a broader area so not only the heels and midsoles absorb all the impact.
This Mizuno volleyball shoe is built with a dura shield which protects your toes from damage against friction when landing on the floor.
The inside of the shoe is built with booty construction that provides a soft and secure fit. They are made with a XG rubber sole which provides excellent traction and grip against chalky floors. You can find these shoes on Amazon US for under $150 in three different colors.
- Has a built-in dura shield that helps protects your toes from friction
- The Mizuno wave plate provides comfort, support, and cushioning
- We can’t seem to find any cons about this product!
5. ASICS Men’s Sky Elite FF Volleyball Shoes
- N.C. RUBBER outsole boasts high abrasion resistance and excellent grip
- TRUSSTIC SYSTEM technology in the midfoot works to control twisting
- ORTHOLITE sockliner provides extra cushioning and effective moisture management
- FLUIDRIDE technology in the midsole to create adaptive cushioning underfoot
- sockliner is also removable for your own orthotics
Next up on our list is the men’s Sky Elite FF volleyball shoe from the brand ASICS. These volleyball shoes are specially designed to be worn on indoor courts with their TRUSSTIC SYSTEM technology combined with its GEL technology.
The Trusstic system helps control twisting and pivoting which is a crucial part of volleyball. The gel technology at the heel provides shock absorption and cushioning along with the ORTHOLITE sockliner which also is a moisture-wicking material to help keep your feet cool and dry.
The closed lace-up system provides a locked and snug fit, and the breathable mesh lining makes the shoe lightweight and comfortable to wear for long periods. The N.C. RUBBER outsole provides high abrasion resistance and a solid grip which is ideal for indoor courts. You can find this men’s volleyball shoe on Amazon US in two different colors for under $150.
- Combines several different technologies to offer you the best performance
- Rubber outsole provides high abrasion resistance and good grip
- Does not have a lot of ankle support
6. Adidas Men’s Stabil X Volleyball Shoe
- adidas quality
- Imported by adidas
The last shoe on our list is the Stabil X volleyball shoe from adidas. These shoes are built with a sock-like construction which provides a snug and solid fit. They have a sharkskin upper that uses interlocking fiber technology which is breathable and lightweight. It uses a unique ‘boost’ cushioning material which delivers incredible comfort and support for the whole game.
They are also equipped with a top-grip rubber sole that provides excellent traction and grip on indoor courts. You can find these volleyball shoes on Amazon US for under $150 in four different colors.
- Built with a sock-like construction for a snug and proper fit for the best possible performance
- Breathable and lightweight
- They have a medium to slightly wide fit which won’t fit with a narrow foot
Now that we have looked at some of the best volleyball shoes for both men and women to wear on indoor volleyball courts, let’s go over some of the key features you should consider when choosing a volleyball shoe that will promote maximum performance on the court.
First, you want to look for a volleyball shoe that is comfortable for you to wear for a whole game and won’t leave your feet feeling sore afterward. You want a high-quality shoe with a good amount of cushioning in the areas where you need it most. Whether it is foam or gel cushioning, you need to make sure the material and fit of the shoe are comfortable for you.
Next, you want to look at the outsoles to make sure they have a good traction pattern that will provide a solid grip on the court. Whether the indoor court is slippery and shiny or covered in chalk dust, you need a pair of shoes you can count on that won’t slide across the floor and will give you solid landings after big jumps.
Stability and Support
Along with comfort, you want to make sure your shoes provide a good sense of stability and support your feet. Depending on if you need more ankle support, there are pairs you can buy with extended ankle collars for comfort and support. The outsole and midsole also contribute to the stability factor, so make sure your foot feels secure when laced up for the game.
Lastly, you will have to consider the price depending on your budget. If you play volleyball regularly, we recommend investing in a high-quality pair of volleyball shoes designed for the sport. You don’t want to risk pulling a muscle or being too sore the next day by wearing improper footwear in such a high-intensity sport.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Q: How can I break in my new volleyball shoes quickly?
A: The best and quickest way to break in your shoes is to start playing! Even just wearing them around the house or at the gym can help break them in quicker.
Q: What is the best way to clean your volleyball shoes?
A: The most important thing to remember is that these are indoor shoes! The cleaning process is not overly complex. Just wipe them down with a damp towel after games since the dirt and dust should be minimal.
Q: Are volleyball shoes good for other sports?
A: Since basketball and tennis require similar movements like pivoting and jumping, volleyball shoes are perfect to wear for both these sports as well.
Volleyball is a sport that both men and women enjoy, therefore there are a lot of shoe options and brands tailored especially for volleyball. When playing on an indoor court it is important to invest in good-quality volleyball footwear so you can maximize your performance and also protect your feet and muscles from potential strains and sprains.
Looking for a shoe with good cushioning, a high-quality support, stability, and ankle support system if needed, and that is comfortable to wear for the entire game can make all the difference. We recommend any of the shoes on our list so you can focus on bumping and spiking the ball instead of thinking about sore feet during the game.
Last update on 2021-09-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API