Not long ago, spending hours in the gym weightlifting or pounding treadmills was considered the best way to stay fit. Over the years, we have witnessed different trends hitting the fitness scene. Some have stood the test of time while the rest have fallen along the wayside. Enter CrossFit. Any conversation about fitness is not without a mention of CrossFit. The high-intensity training has caused a stir not only in the United States but worldwide. It has revolutionized the entire meaning of working out.
What is CrossFit?
CrossFit can be best described as a lifestyle characterized by effective exercising and proper nutrition. CrossFit takes all aspects of sports and fitness; cherry picks the most effective and applicable to daily lives and integrates them for a total body workout. This can include Olympic lifts, squats, dead-lifts, push-ups, power lifts and gymnastics to name a few. The high-intensity workout can be used to accomplish wide-ranging goals, from better performance to weight loss to improved health. The CrossFit program works for everyone, individuals who are just starting and professional athletes.
Everyone is different, but the demands of this workout program are such that your body is pushed to the limit. Since it combines a mixture of various training disciplines and uses every energy system in your body, CrossFit is one of the most challenging sports. It also leaves your body feeling battered and beaten. Using research-proven supplements can fill the gaps and have significant effects on results. Supplements will help to improve aspects of performance such as endurance, strength, energy capacity and aerobic fitness.
Why Supplements Matter
This article will help you to understand what you should be taking that you aren’t, and what you might be considering that you shouldn’t. Since you are going to put the supplements in your body, it is vital that you only purchase high-quality supplements. There are literally 1000s of supplements in the market, but our list will narrow down to 5 of the best supplements for CrossFit athletes in 2019.
Ingredients to Look out for in Supplements for CrossFit Athletes
BCCAs– leucine, valine and isoleucine are building blocks of muscle, provide your muscles energy, and quicken post-workout recovery.
Beta Alanine – this amino acid improves your workout endurance for harder, more extended training. It thwarts the rise of lactic acid in the muscle to prolong training and delay soreness.
Fish Oil – the omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil reduces inflammation for quicker recovery, builds more muscle, help in fat loss and minimize joint pain.
MCT Oil – burns off excess fat, increases your focus, energy and endurance.
Creatine Monohydrate – naturally produced in the body, supplemental creatine helps to increase power and strength, letting you train harder. It also increases lean body mass.
L-Carnitine – helps convert fatty acids into energy to improve performance and reduce soreness after intense training sessions.
Magnesium and Zinc – they help in tissue repair and regeneration. Magnesium is essential in calming down the nervous system for better rest.
Multi-Vitamins – multi-vitamins have a wide array of daily vitamins and minerals to cover your bases and give you protection against deficiencies during intense phases of training. They also enhance performance and optimal health.
Glucosamine and Chondroitin – rebuild damaged cartilage and relieves joint pain.
ZMA – enables you to recover faster between workouts and sleep better.
Vitamin D – for optimal performance and health. Our sedentary lifestyles don’t allow us to get enough Vitamin D from sunshine.
Protein Powder – a popular post-workout boost, proteins are the key for strength adaptations, muscle growth, fat loss and recovery.
Caffeine – caffeine has been shown to enhance power output during activities such as cycling, sprinting and weight training.
When combined, studies show that the above ingredients can enhance various aspects of performance.
Best Supplements For CrossFit Athletes
Whether you are a dedicated CrossFitter or a beginner merely exploring this workout program to take your fitness to the next level, the supplements listed below will give you the much-needed boost.
Puori – D3 – Vitamin D
- CLEAN LABEL PROJECT PURITY AWARD: Puori made D3 because there was no natural high-dose high-quality product on the market allowing people to reach desired doses of vitamin D.
- BENEFITS: Vitamin D is essential for several functions in the body. We get very little sunshine and a typical diet contain almost no vitamin D, resulting in number one micronutrient deficiency.
- INGREDIENT STORY: The vitamin D in Puori D3 is extracted from lanolin, a natural component of sheep’s wool. The wool is gently sheared from the sheep, undergoes a purification and cleaning process and mixed with organic virgin coconut oil.
- FULL TRANSPARENCY: Every batch of every product tested for purity and potency by Clean Label Project. They use independent laboratories and publish the test results for everyone to see.
- MADE IN USA: Manufactured in the United States in an FDA registered facility following strict GMP guidelines.
Vitamin D is essential for bone mineralization, intestinal absorption and metabolism of calcium. Yet vitamin D deficiencies are common as most people don’t get enough exposure to foods containing vitamin D or sunlight. Formerly known as PurePharma, Puori claims that its new and improved vitamin D3 supplement is formulated to compensate for this deficiency. The supplement maintains normal muscle functions, healthy bones, and normal immune function. Scientifically extracted from a natural source (purified sheep lanolin)and mixed with pure organic coconut oil, this supplement ensures optimal absorption. If you are worried about safety, this supplement has been tested by the International Fitness Ingredient Testing Program (IFIT) for highest industry standards. It is free from heavy metals, solvent residues, GMO and other banned substances. A capsule has 2500 IU vitamin D3. Recommended serving is 1-2 capsules/day. It can be used by adults and kids from 11 years. Check with your physician before use if you’re allergic to iodine and coconut, pregnant, anticipate surgery or diabetic.
Beta Alanine Powder by BulkSupplements
- Lean Muscle Support - Beta Alanine is widely used to help build lean muscle, and is also a vegan pre-workout. It may aid in the production of carnosine, a compound that plays a role in muscle endurance during high-intensity exercise. Carnosine is believed to help muscles reduce their acid levels during exercise
- Pre-Workout Energy - Beta Alanine has been used as an amino energy pre-workout that supports the nervous system by the athletic and bodybuilding communities. It is thought to be a great pre-workout for women weight management as well. By increasing intracellular carsonie levels, muscle fatigue may be delayed, allowing athletes to workout harder and longer.
- Post-Workout recovery - Beta Alanine is often used to assist with recovery after exercise and may promote recovery. It is believed to load the muscle cells with buffers that may allow for greater recovery, keeping the athlete coming back to the gym for more.
- Brain Support - Beta Alanine powder is used to support the brain. By increasing the levels of carnosine, Beta Alanine is thought to improve cognitive deficits and may correspond with increases in health neural function.
- Vegan - Used widely as a vegan pre-workout, our pure Beta Alanine is cruelty-free. It has been used as a womens best pre-workout, and is free from fillers, additives, and flavors.
This pure Beta-Alanine Powder by Bulk Supplements has no additional ingredients. It is lab tested for guaranteed purity and verification. The supplement is free of fillers, additives, dairy, sugar, gluten and soy. It ships in a factory sealed foil zip pouch. Beta Alanine Powder quickly mixes in your preferred drink and has excellent absorption when digested. Manufactured in an FDA registered facility, this supplement enhances muscle endurance to help you push yourself harder during training, and builds more muscle over time. I recommend this supplement if you are undergoing a plateau in your current fitness results. For best results, pair Beta Alanine Powder with Creatine as this supplement amplifies the effects of creatine.
Nutrakey Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM
- SUPERIOR JOINT SUPPORT: Tired of joint pains and discomfort? NutraKey Innoflex is a rich nutritional complex designed to help increase joint flexibility and mobility, support joint structure, build cartilage, protect joint tissue, and reduce inflammation
- FAST ABSORBING, HIGH-POTENCY JOINT COMPLEX: Innoflex is designed to be a fast absorbing, high-potency joint complex capable of supporting healthy joint function. Whether you swim, run, occasionally lift weight, body build, or practice yoga, the ingredients in Innoflex can strengthen joint tissues and improve flexibility
- PERFECT FOR MIXING WITH SMOOTHIES AND JUICE: Take 1 serving (1 scoop) with 8-10 ounces of water, juice, almond milk. smoothies, or your favorite beverage. Stir or blend until smooth. Do not exceed 2 scoops daily. Take before or between meals for best absorption. Innoflex powder is gluten free and made in the USA
- MAINTAIN COLLAGEN: Collagen Production Decreases Significantly with Age. This decrease is the source of a number of serious health issues. Research shows healthy collagen production can be sustained through supplementation and healthy diet habits
- Formulated for cartilage upkeep
If you’re looking for a remedy for pain in your aching joints, Nutrakey’s Glucosamine is the supplement for you. Fundamental scientific studies have shown that glucosamine and chondroitin, the main ingredients of this supplement not only reduce joint pain but also help to repair and regenerate damaged cartilage. Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) helps grow new cartilage and reduce inflammation. Hyaluronic acid improves the shock absorbing capabilities of your joints. These benefits are good news for CrossFit athletes who skip workouts due to pain and reduced movement in joints. The manufacturers of this supplement ensured that every serving contains dosage for every ingredient instead of sprinkling the ingredients. Nutrakey recommends 1-2 servings per day. When used as directed, a bottle will last you 30 days.
OPTIMUM NUTRITION Micronized Creatine Monohydrate Powder
- 5 grams pure creatine monohydrate per serving
- Supports increases in energy, endurance & recovery
- Maximum potency supports muscle size, strength, and power
- Supreme absorbency micronized to get the most out of each dose
- Unflavored can be mixed in your favorite beverage with ease - Product does not come with a scoop
Creatine monohydrate is an extensively studied sports nutrition ingredient, and ON’s Micronized Creatine Monohydrate Powder doesn’t disappoint. Packing 5g of pure creatine monohydrate in one serving, it will help to boost muscle size, power and strength during high-intensity training. It is non-flavored meaning you can mix the powder in your favorite flavored beverage or stack a teaspoon into your post-workout protein shake. The supplement is manufactured in a state-of-the-art GMP compliant facility. To improve overall effectiveness, consume simple carbohydrates alongside this supplement. This product should not be used by pregnant or nursing moms.
Arazo Nutrition Omega 3 Fish Oil
- High dose of 4,080mg Omega 3 fish oil; higher EPA and DHA levels than other brands with a total of 2,250mg Omega 3 fatty acid content
- Ultra pure and refined; purified with molecular distillation at minimal temperatures to remove all heavy metals, mercury, PCB's and other toxins
- 100% wild ocean catch; from fresh, deep sea sourced, omega-rich fish; special extraction method for the highest volume of EPA and DHA; sustainable and traceable; triple certified by Marin Trust, Friend of the Seas and Dolphin Safe
- Burpless, natural lemon flavor; odorless & easy to swallow without fishy burps; our fish oil concentrates are fresher than other brands; proven by extremely low oxidation (Totox) values less than 5 meq/kg which is the highest quality in the market
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and heavy metal tested for purity; we use a superior patented oil extraction method that results in extremely low levels of contaminants, oxidation and pollutants
Arazo nutrition gave us a triple strength fish oil supplement with a whopping 2250 mg per daily serving, with 1200 mg of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) alongside 900 mg docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Sourced from wild-caught fish, the soft gels offer some of the highest amounts of omega-3 fatty acids of fish oil supplements currently in the market. This supplement is aimed at improving joint flexibility, mental state and general body health. The supplement has been purified to ensure that all toxins, PCBs and metals that may compromise the product’s purity have been removed. No need to worry about fishy aftertaste as Arazo Nutrition Omega 3 Fish Oil comes in a pleasant lemon flavor. The only downside is that the tablets are a bit large which can be a challenge to swallow if you are no big tablets fan. Serving is 3 soft gels per day meaning a bottle with 120 soft gels will last you 30 days.
PRO TIP: Be cautious when purchasing new supplements with minimal scientific support. New supplements are released all the time, with only a handful supported by studies. All the products in this article are third-party tested for quality.
For CrossFit athletes, supplements are vital as they support and maximize results from hours of training the gym and dietary regime. Putting stress on your body means that you can use additional nutrient support to keep your body performing at the desired level. If you are ready to take up your athletic performance to the next level, use any of the above-discussed supplements. Besides easing your training, they will leave your boy feeling good!
Last update on 2021-05-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API