If you enjoy CrossFit, you’ve probably heard the name, “Mat Fraser,” pop up quite a bit, but who is he, and what kind of impact does he have on the CrossFit world?
Who is Mat Fraser?
Mat Fraser has a lot of first-time accomplishments to his name.
Not only is he the current World’s Fittest Man, but he has also won the feat five times and is regarded as the greatest CrossFit athlete in history. His CrossFit history is awe-inspiring, having a record of over 300 lbs squats, deadlifts over 500 lbs, and can still kill it at long runs, metcons, swims, and other events in record times.
He took second place twice -in the 2014 and 2015 CrossFit Games, and that may have been his big break. He went back to the gym and became more intentional about his training, nutrition, and workout until he was named “World’s Fittest Man” in 2016. He won the Men’s Individual Competition by the largest margin in the event’s history.
Fraser made changes to his lifestyle, focusing on his diet, after realizing that his terrible eating habit may have affected him. Mat is determined to succeed in his pursuits with his newly developed work ethic and personal drive even after his competitive CrossFit days are done.
There’s a lot we can pick out from his CrossFit workout and lifestyle, and we’ve highlighted some of the significant take-outs.
Mat Fraser’s Diet Plans
He hardly follows a strict diet, only making efforts to stick to meat, eggs, vegetables, fruits, and white rice, while completely cutting out junk food, soda, pre-packaged and processed foods, donuts, and artificial ingredients.
He makes efforts to eat early and in bits to maintain weight and energy levels.
Mat Fraser’s Fitness Routine
Fraser’s CrossFit routine is ruled by diversity – doing various activities in ways that aren’t predictable. He also makes a plan of CrossFit attack and sticks with it.
Mat trains for 6 hours every day and runs when it’s 90 degrees outside and dry. He usually lifts before moving on to cardio. His cardio was a bit weak, so he focused on sprints and rowing. With his coach helping him with technique and form, he frequently climbs ropes and does a lot of gymnastic rings activities. He goes as far as stretching for hours, even when he isn’t at the gym.
Mixing up different activities keeps him healthy and agile for whatever the CrossFit games have for him.
Focusing on the right set of gym equipment also makes a difference to his CrossFit workouts’ efficiency.
Although Mat Fraser is a Rogue-Sponsored Athlete and the majority of CrossFit Games his equipment being from the brand, he still maintains a balance of great workout gears.
Mat Fraser CrossFit Gear
Here is some of his CrossFit training gear:
Nike Metcon 6 -Signature Series
Metcon is one of the top shoe series choices for CrossFit trainers, precisely because they’re suitable for most gyms. This particular edition is very flexible in the forefront and makes running, exercising, or any kind of activity easier. It’s made specifically as the Mat Fraser edition, so it’s probably the right choice for most CrossFit needs.
Fraser SR-2S Speed Rope 3.0
- This Speed Rope is a great option for someone who wants a quality jump rope.
- A speed rope is a must have for any crossfitter.
Another special edition, this speed rope includes a red anodized handle with a laser-etched HWPO (“Hard Work Pays Off”) logo on the knurl, and a nylon-coated 2.3MM black cable. It helps get your double-under up and new PR games.
Concept 2 Model D Rower -PM5
- Indoor rowing machine with sliding seat for complete total body workouts
- Quiet flywheel minimizes noise while providing smooth feel of water rowing
- Lets rowers choose between sleek, fast boat and slow, heavy boat
- PM3 performance monitor tracks your distance, speed, pace, and calories
- Requires footprint of 9 x 4 feet; 500-pound capacity; 5-year frame warranty
This particular model features an advanced PM5 performance monitor, improved ergonomically designed handles, adjustable foot-rests, and a flywheel designed for smooth movement with minimal noise.
Compex Edge Electronic Muscle Stimulator Kit
- With 3 programs to choose from, you can achieve peak performance and fitness with virtually no cardiovascular fatigue
- Resistance program builds muscle size, strength and density; Optimal for toning muscles
- Active Recovery program helps clear lactic acid and enables a faster recovery from muscle soreness and fatigue
- Endurance program increases muscle capillarization and increases flexibility; Targets slow-twitch muscle fibers
- One set of 4 Easy Snap Electrode lead wires and 2 different sizes of Easy Snap Electrodes are also included
This stimulator kit helps your muscles recover from lactic acid build-up and ease the recovery process. It also has an endurance program that increases your flexibility and targets slow-twitch fibers. If you’re starting out on an intense training routine, the Compex Edge Muscle Stimulator works.
Redline Gear Knee Sleeves
- Classic knee support provides compression and warms the joint
- 5mm Neoprene provides support without restricting movement
- Measure your knee mid-patella
- Order one size smaller than recommended for tighter fit
- Priced per pair! An excellent alternative to higher priced knee sleeves.
A pair of knee sleeves help your knees whenever you put them under severe pressure like running, heavy squatting or jumping. Redline’s 5mm neoprene protects against any form of knee injuries and allows more natural movement. The compression helps to increase blood flow to the joints.
For Fraser’s CrossFit exercising, he lifts:
- Back Squat: 485 lbs
- Deadlift: 500 lbs
- Snatch: 315 lbs
- Clean and Jerk: 375 lbs
Mat Fraser’s Supplements
Mat includes a couple of supplements into his diet to enhance his strength, power and immunity levels. Ranging from multivitamins, amino acids, and glutamine, to omega-3s and creatine, you can supplement your diet too and improve your post-CrossFit workouts.
Top on the list is the NF Sports NutriWhey.
- LOSE FAT & PRESERVE MUSCLE | This all-natural Whey Protein is high in branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) that help you to reduce fatigue, accelerate recovery, reduce muscle soreness, and improve the use of fat for energy with a great strawberry taste.
- INCREASE SIZE & STRENGTH | Whey Protein is a very high nutritional and dietary source of high-quality protein. Due to your body’s quick absorption of this particular type of protein Whey helps promote and maintain muscle growth when combined with strength training.
- REDUCE HUNGER | NutriWhey powder has 5 grams of the amino acid L-Glutamine which has been proven to not only speed weight loss and burn fat, but also curb cravings for sugar and alcohol. NutriWhey is also made with Stevia which is a zero-calorie sweetener and is 100% natural. Stevia also helps lower blood sugar levels and blood pressure.
- MANAGE STRESS | The amino acid L-Glutamine has been proven to help with memory, focus, and concentration, which helps with reducing stress levels.
- IMPROVE IMMUNITY | By using only high-quality, all-natural ingredients in all of our products such as, L-Glutamine, Stevia, all-natural whey protein, and Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAA), this powder can improve immunity while assisting your strength training.
NF Sports makes some of the top supplements that are designed to promote post-workout recovery, and NurtriWhey is one of them. A large number of competitive CrossFitters uses it. NutriWhey is relatively high in BCAAs, glutamine, and value amino acids. It also tastes better than most whey protein powders out there.
Mat Fraser’s Lifestyle
Aside from his intense workout routine, diet plans and food supplement, Fraser makes efforts to improve this general lifestyle to suit what he needs to achieve.
First, he sleeps healthily. He goes to bed as early as 9:30, and spends 10 hours in bed. Sleeping well is essential for him to function properly.
Then, despite his seemingly busy schedule, Fraser invests in a few days off and rests his mind as much as he can.
Over the last 5 years, Mat Fraser has proven to be one of the world’s most successful CrossFit champions.
We may note that successful CrossFit workout sessions are a lot more than the workouts with what we have so far. It’s more about the efficient equipment, diet plans, supplement inclusion and major lifestyle changes.