A triad of cardio, strength training, and balanced nutrition is the key to a toned, healthy physique. However, we recommend adding a muscle building supplement to your regimen to see more efficient muscle mass gains.
Athletes, fitness junkies, and bodybuilders alike can benefit from the best muscle building supplements of 2021, engineered with effective ingredients to achieve the ultimate muscle-building goals.
Key Ingredients to Look for in Muscle Building Supplements
Muscle Building supplements should have at least one of these key ingredients to achieve optimum results:
- Whey Protein– found in dairy products, whey is an excellent source of all the amino acids necessary for protein functionality and muscle growth.
- Casein Protein– found specifically in mammalian milk, casein inhibits muscle deterioration and stimulates protein synthesis in your muscles, facilitating growth.
- BCAA-Branched Chain Amino Acids– contain the amino acids leucine, valine, and isoleucine that chemically link together catalyze protein synthesis in muscles and help reduce muscle fatigue.
- Creatine– an amino acid that comprises muscle protein and creates effective energy stores within your muscles.
5 Best Muscle Building Supplements in 2021
If you’re feeling overwhelmed with all the options available on the market, check out the list of our favorite muscle building supplements for 2021.
Gold Standard Whey Protein Powder
- Packaging may vary - New look, with the same trusted quality
- Gold standard 100% whey blend – 24 grams blended protein consisting of whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, and whey peptides to support lean muscle mass – they don't call it the Gold Standard of quality for nothing
- Over 5 grams of BCAAS ‚Äì help build lean and strong muscles with BCAAs.Keep out of reach of children
- 3-4 grams carbs, 1-3 grams sugar, and 1-1.5 grams fat, gluten free, no sucralose in double rich chocolate flavor
- Instantized – Improves mixability to prevent lumps and clumps
Gold Standard is an award-winning muscle building supplement brand, offering the best quality ingredients in all of their products. The Gold Standard Whey Protein powder has 24 grams of whey protein per serving, composed of three different whey forms: isolate, concentrate, and peptides.
More than 5 grams of BCAAs per serving, combined with whey protein, help build lean muscle mass quickly. With under 4 grams of carbs, sugar, and fat, you can be sure that the Gold Standard powder results in pure gains with nothing extra to burn off.
You get 5 lbs. of protein powder per Gold Standard tub, providing high-quality fuel for months before you run out.
- BCAAs and Protein combo
- Low Carb and sugar count
- Not much variety in flavors
- Post-workout only
Six Star Whey Plus Creatine and BCAA
- WHEY PROTEIN POWDER – Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus is fast-absorbing, high-quality whey protein (64g per 2 scoops), with one of the most bio-available and easy-to-digest forms of protein in the world
- MUSCLE BUILDER for MEN & WOMEN – Six Star 100% Whey Protein Plus has 14.8g of BCAA and a clinically studied 5g dose of HPLC-tested creatine monohydrate (per 2 scoops) to help build lean muscle, increase strength and enhance performance for men & women
- PROTEIN POWDER for MUSCLE GAIN – In a 6-week, double-blind study involving the core ingredients of 100% Whey Plus, subjects gained 70% more lean muscle than those using regular whey (8.8 vs 5.1 lbs) and increased their bench press more (34 vs 14 lbs)
- CREATINE MONOHYDRATE – Start re-imagining the limits of size and strength with pure, HPLC-tested creatine. Scientific studies have shown that it helps replenish ATP stores in the body for enhanced performance, more muscle and an increase in strength
- DAILY WORKOUT SUPPLEMENTS – Mix 1 to 2 scoops in 7 to 14 oz of cold water or skim milk, according to taste, in a shaker cup. Use between major meals, and before and after exercise
Six Star Whey Protein Plus has a complete nutrient profile to help you build lean muscle and recover rapidly from hard workouts. Not only are there 32 grams of whey protein per serving, but there are also 7.4 grams of BCAAS, glutamine, and creatine.
Six Star protein powder is a fast-digesting, dairy-based post-workout booster that claims to build muscle, increase strength, and improve recovery time for men and women athletes in all fitness and sports disciplines.
- 3 active ingredients for muscle gain
- Largest amount of protein per serving
- Post-workout only
- May be too much for certain athletes or body sizes
- RIDICULOUSLY DELICIOUS : BSN broke through the whey protein flavor barrier once and for all with the introduction of SYNTHA-6
- 22G PROTEIN MATRIX : consisting of whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, calcium caseinate, micellar casein, milk protein isolate, and egg albumin
- 2-3G SUGAR : while the taste is mind blowing, Syntha-6 contains 2-3g of sugar per serving depending on flavor
- USE ANY TIME OF DAY : post workout, between meals, as a snack, or as a treat, it doesn’t matter. BSN Syntha-6 was formulated to be your any time of day protein powder
- PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTATION : Promotes muscle protein synthesis and recovery support
Syntha 6 Whey and Casein powder provides 22 grams of protein per serving, comprised of whey protein concentrate and isolate, and casein protein in the form of calcium caseinate, micellar casein, milk, and egg protein.
The combination of whey and casein protein ensures optimal muscle protein synthesis and recovery fuel that will help you bulk up quickly. You can use this protein powder as a post-workout recovery drink, as a snack, or as an after-dinner dessert treat. Syntha 6 has unique and delicious flavors, including cake batter, chocolate peanut butter, pumpkin pie, and vanilla ice cream.
- Best tasting
- Combo of whey and casein
- Versatile drink mixture for any time of day
- Less servings per container than competitors
- Forget Generic Creatine - 5 Grams of Creapure monohydrate combines with beta alanine to support muscle building results that you can both see and feel.
- A New Kind of Post Workout - CarnoSyn beta alanine and AstraGin offer natural muscle recharging support and bioavailability.
- Build Mass Naturally - Our formula offers a post workout supplement with no artificial fillers or dyes.
- More Than a Bodybuilding Supplement - Creatine may also raise cellular energy levels and can support brain function.
- American Made - Formulated, tested, and manufactured only in the United States.
Genius Creatine is a human growth creative supplement specializing in strength, size, and cellular power output. Makers at Genius have formulated a creatine make-up of Creatine Hydrochloride and Creatine Magnesium Chelate that contains beta-alanine for added fortification.
A combination of creatine and beta-alanine helps build muscle while taking away any water weight that may hinder your muscle-building goals. This is a post-workout recovery drink that is tasteless, so you can add it to any drink. Additionally, Genius Creatine is both keto-friendly and vegan.
- Post-workout only
- One muscle-building ingredient only
Vintage Brawn Protein
- PRESERVE & BUILD: Keep your hard earned muscles fed, whether you’re at home or at the gym. Stay fit & consistent with your protein supplementation & stay strong around the clock, in the gym or at home. Vintage Brawn is the 1st to combine the isolate forms of the 3 most-prized protein sources Golden Era athletes relied on to build their lean muscle & speed recovery – a protein drink that’s richer & tastier than any naturally flavored whey protein. Made from eggs, hormone-free milk, & USDA beef.
- THE REAL PROTEIN: Sourced exclusively from REAL protein food sources. Brawn is made of the "Big 3" protein isolates: egg protein, milk protein - a mix of casein and whey, & beef protein. Third-party tested with zero concentrates, zero artificial substances, zero synthetic additives, zero preservatives, & no added aminos (used to cheaply and artificially "spike" the total protein-per-serving figure). We stand by Vintage Brawn as the best muscle-building protein powder supplement on the planet.
- GUARANTEED RESULTS OR YOUR MONEY BACK: Old School Labs supplements never compromise on quality and always include clear and complete supplement facts without any "proprietary blends." We stand by our products 100%. If you are not completely satisfied with any OSL product, we will help you resolve your concern or provide a full refund.
- BUNDLE AND SAVE TODAY: Get 10% OFF any 2 products with code "OSLBUNDLE10" or 15% OFF any 4 products with code "OSLBUNDLE15".
- OSL HERITAGE: Old School Labs, California; Supplements That Make Sense, 40 Years in the Making. Only one thing has ever mattered to OSL: our customers. Before becoming a best-selling national brand with thousands of loyal customers and followers, this was our priority. That will never change. Our team of experts are available by email or social media to answer questions regarding the best way to use a product. Our products are sold on Amazon.com, proudly formulated in California, made in U.S.A.
The Vintage Brawn protein supplement is the ultimate combination of real, naturally based protein from three sources: eggs, hormone-free milk, and USDA beef. It’s, therefore, an excellent combination of non-synthetic whey and casein protein. There are no GMOs, no sugars, and 1 gram or less of total carbs and fat.
Brawn protein offers benefits such as fast-absorption, muscle support, and long-lasting effects that increase muscle mass with FDA-approved all-natural protein ingredients. Brawn makers are so confident in their product’s quality that they offer a money-back guarantee of satisfaction.
- All-natural, FDA approved
- No GMOs
- Money-back guarantee
- Not vegetarian friendly
If you’re just starting out with muscle building supplements, you probably have several questions. Here is some extra information to guide you in your search.
What Is the Difference Between Casein and Whey?
Both whey and casein are animal-based proteins that help increase muscle synthesis. The main difference between casein and whey is that whey is a fast-acting protein, and casein is a slow-acting protein.
Therefore, whey works best if you ingest it post-workout, and casein is best when you use it pre-workout or before bed. Protein powders that combine whey and casein ensure protein synthesis at all hours of the day and night.
What Does Creatine Do to Muscles?
Creatine is a chemical that, like protein, stimulates muscle growth. It also helps with fatigue, thereby improving energy output for longer or harder workout sessions. Creatine also draws a lot of water out of the body, causing muscle tone enhancement.
What Is the Most Important Ingredient for Building Muscle Mass?
Protein is the most important ingredient for building muscle mass. Protein is the building-block of muscles, and the animal protein we eat comes from animal muscles. Whey and casein protein powders cause you to gain weight while helping you to recover from workouts faster, so you must follow an exercise regimen to build the mass you gain into muscle.
Who Are Muscle-Building Supplements for?
Muscle-building supplements are for adult men and women looking to gain muscle mass, increase their energy levels, and recover quickly between workouts. Many of these products have significant calorie counts, so they expect you to do the physical work of strength training to convert those calories into lean muscle.
There are plenty of excellent choices above, with the best tasting muscle building supplement being the Syntha 6. Plus, the best protein-free muscle builder is the Growth Surge Post-Workout supplement.
However, our overall favorite is the Vintage Brawn Protein, offering FDA-approval as the leanest, non-GMO, and all-natural protein source.
Still, take some time to continue your research and see which muscle building supplement is best for you and your workout routine.
Last update on 2021-07-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API