With the current world events, more and more people are canceling their gym memberships and opting for home workouts. They find that exercising at home is safer, saves time and money.
Of course, to work out from home, you need to purchase the necessary equipment. Fortunately, it doesn’t have to be expensive. With just a jump rope and a good pair of shoes, you can get in a great cardiovascular workout.
You may already have a jump rope lying around in your garage. Finding shoes for jumping rope, however, takes time and research. Thankfully, we’ve done that for you so you can get your workout started sooner than later.
This article will help you find the best shoes for jumping rope based on your preferences.
What Makes a Good Shoe for Jumping Rope?
You may already have a pair of shoes for sports, but that doesn’t mean that they are the right pair for jumping rope. Experts recommend having a separate pair of shoes for each of your athletic activities. That may mean owning one for running, another for cross-training, and yet another for basketball.
These are some necessary features to look for in a pair of rope jumping shoes.
The correct pair of shoes should give you the feeling that you are barefoot while protecting and supporting your feet. You should pay attention to the insole and toe cap, ensuring they are not overly rigid. A flexible shoe will allow you to have a full range of motion, something you need when jumping.
When you workout, your feet inevitably heat up. If your shoes are too tight or aren’t made of a breathable material, you may overheat or feel uncomfortable. Therefore, you will want a shoe that has a fair amount of airflow.
You certainly don’t want to have to buy a new pair of shoes every few months. Therefore, ensuring the model you buy is durable and made from quality materials can save you money in the long run. By reading the reviews before purchasing, you can get some insight into the quality of the shoes.
When jumping rope, it is vital to have a pair of shoes that create friction. Good traction will help you make clean, powerful jumps on any surface. It will also prevent slips or falls.
When it comes to jumping rope, you don’t want to wear heavy shoes that will quickly tire out your feet. Look for a lightweight pair that allows you to get your feet higher off the ground.
Best Shoes for Jumping Rope
There are thousands of shoes to pick from, each claiming to be the best. Some are made specifically for certain activities but perform well when tested in other exercises. To help you choose out the perfect pair of shoes, we’ve whittled down the list to just seven models that perform exceptionally well while jumping rope.
Reebox Nano Cross Trainers
- COMFORTABLE AND EXCEPTIONAL DESIGN: These Iconic training sneakers with Flexweave woven textile upper provide resilient stretch and targeted support at key performance areas for powerful maneuverability making them perfect for your training needs
- DURABLE AND STURDY MATERIAL: These cross trainer running shoes for women with lightweight EVA foam cushioning provide resilient performance, elevated stability, and comfort for agile fitness that keep you going all day long
- EFFICIENT FOOT SUPPORT: Feel the lightweight EVA foam cushioning, firm grip, and gliding transition with these symbolic gym hightops designed for phenomenal CrossFit and enduring functional fitness
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE SPORTS FOOTWEAR: These joggers for men are ideal for high intensity workouts, cardio, lifting sessions, climbing, and running like a ninja
The Reebox Nano Cross Trainer is a shoe built for HIIT workouts, which generally require many plyometric jumps. Nano trainers provide loads of stability and are very comfortable due to their foam cushioning. Also, the upper sole is Flexweave, a woven textile that is breathable and durable.
You won’t get overheated or feel flimsy when wearing these sneakers. For these reasons, users praise Reebox Nano trainers and love wearing them in a variety of activities.
- Midfoot cage locks your foot in place without restricting movement.
- Rubber wraps up the sides to help resist abrasion during rope climbs
- Foam midsole has a firmer foam carrier for comfortable cushioning where you need it and stability for heavy weightlifting.
- Deep grooves along the outsole allow the shoe to flex and expand in every direction for a lightweight feel as you train.
The new Nike Metcon is an improved version of an already great shoe. Its primary purpose is gym use, and wearers claim that it is incredibly comfortable. It is lightweight and breathable but provides an excellent and sturdy base.
The Flywire lacing gives your foot a secure, snug feeling but doesn’t restrict the movements of your toes. Overall, it is a shoe that you could use for jumping rope or any other home workout.
Vibram Men’s KSO Evo Cross Training Shoe
- Runs small, Go up a size
- Lightly padded tongue & speed lacing system.Care - Machine Wash Cold / Air Dry
- Serrated blade lug design.Select half size up or down
- XS Trek Outsole
- Zero Drop
If you prefer working out in your bare feet but want a shoe’s support, this is a perfect choice. Vibrams are as lightweight as they come and allow your foot to move naturally, as it would without shoes. The KSO Evo Cross-Trainer also provides an excellent grip, which is essential when jumping rope.
When jumping rope in Evo Cross Trainer, you will notice that your toes feel reinforced. You may realize that you can jump with more precision as a result.
Adidas Speed Trainer
- adidas mens Baseball Shoe
- The adidas brand has a long history and deep-rooted connection with sport. Everything we do is rooted in sport.
- Driven by a relentless pursuit of innovation as well as decades of accumulating sports science expertise, we cater for all, from elite professional athletes and teams to any individual who wants to make sport part of their lives.
These shoes have a rubber multisurface outsole that provides excellent traction and grip. Although the bottom of the shoe is stable, it’s midsole is made from foam. Meanwhile, it is lightweight.
The Speed Trainer is a great shoe to wear if your toes are narrow or if you lack balance. It is a well-constructed shoe that will accompany you through intensive jump roping sessions. Just be aware that this isn’t the best shoe if you have wide feet.
- Synthetic leather
- Breathable EcoOrthoLite sockliner for optimum fit and comfort
- TPU shank for increased stability
- Cushioned midsole for comfort
The Tazon is primarily a running shoe, but it functions well during cross-training and rope jumping sessions. One of the best qualities this shoe has is its T-toe construction. It gives the wearer a feeling of stability and allows the shoe to endure the repetitive impact of jumping rope.
Not only is it long-lasting and steady, but it is also comfortable. It is padded midfoot so that your foot stays in place, meaning you won’t lose your balance on landings. Although it isn’t as breathable as mesh shoes, it is incredibly stylish and an excellent shoe for jump rope activities.
Under Armour Apollo Speedform
These shoes are great for indoor or outdoor workouts. The upper part of the shoe uses ArmourVent technology, similar to the Flywire lacing we find in Nike Metcon models. That means that the Apollo Speedform has excellent breathability, dries quickly, and is quite flexible.
If you have wide feet, you will like the mobility the toe box allows. However, it still provides exceptional support for jumping rope.
ASICS Men’s GEL-Acclaim
- Rearfoot and Forefoot GEL Technology Cushioning System - Attenuates shock during impact and toe-off phases, and allows movement in multiple planes as the foot transitions through the gait cycle.
- FlyteFoam Midsole Technology - Our FlyteFoam technology provides exceptional bounce back and responsiveness no matter the distance, utilizing organic super fibers to help reduce packing out that traditionally happens with softer, low density foams.
- FlyteFoam Propel Technology - ASICS energetic foam formulation that provides supreme bounce thanks to a unique elastomer compound.
- Dynamic DuoMax Support System - This evolution of DuoMax system enhances stability and support, with reduced weight and increased platform support.
- SPACE TRUSSTIC Technology - Reduces the weight of the sole unit while providing stability and retaining the structural integrity of the shoe.
These sneakers are great for hopping or jumping, thanks to GEL technology. Cushioning in the rear of the shoe reduces impact during heel strike. Meanwhile, the front of the foot has cushions to enhance shock absorption.
Many Asics Gel Kayano users claim that they can wear these active shoes all day comfortably, even during long runs. While they are primarily a running shoe, the GEL technology makes them a great candidate for a jump-roping shoe.
Your Shoes Can Make a Difference
When purchasing athletic shoes, it is essential to keep in mind the factors we considered in the article’s onset. These, joined with your personal preferences and physical condition, will help you choose the best shoes for jumping rope.
Are you interested in enhancing your athletic training? If so, check out more of our content!