Professional basketball players spend countless hours training and going through numerous drills to perfect their game. Training is all about repetition until the skill is mastered.
This often calls for working as hard as it does working smart. It’s this aspect of working smart that requires every team and every player to employ the best basketball training equipment.
Unfortunately, whenever most people hear that using the right kind of basketball training equipment can give them an edge, they immediately start thinking of the most high-tech products they can find. Thankfully, this doesn’t always have to be the case.
There are many rather rudimentary yet highly effective pieces of equipment you can use to greatly improve your game overall. Let’s look at some of the most essential basketball training equipment and aids that every team needs.
The Best Basketball Training Equipment for Every Team and Player
Using any one of these or a combination of these training aids will enable players to make the most of their gym and training time. While this list isn’t exhaustive in any way, it’s a good place to start.
1. Wilson Evolution Basketball
It might seem obvious, but the type of basketball you use greatly determines your level of skill mastery. Using the right ball allows you to focus on the skill instead of compensating for what the ball is lacking.
The Wilson Evolution Basketball is definitely one of the best in the industry. Not only does it have excellent grip, but it also dribbles and handles quite well.
Add to that the fact that it’s quite affordable and durable, and you have yourself the perfect basketball for your training sessions and shooting drill.
The idea behind getting a high-quality ball like this one is that you want to practice with the same kind of ball that is used in official basketball competitions.
This will help you to seamlessly transition between practice and actual games. If you practice with a ball that is different from what you will get during a competition, most of the opening minutes of the game will be spent trying to compensate and acclimatize to the new feel of the ball, and this gives your opponent the advantage. This Wilson Evolution Basketball has you covered on all fronts.
2. Weighted Training Basketball
- Intermediate size with a 3-pound weight (Size 6, 28.5")
- Weighted to help improve dribbling and passing strength
- Performance composite cover
- Designed for indoor play
Apart from the regular ball, you are going to need a weighted training basketball. These are usually about twice as heavy as the regular balls. There are several very good reasons why using a weighted training ball is an excellent idea for every player:
- It allows you to master dribbling skills
- Improves your arm strength
- Increases your dribbling speed
- Improves your passing skills and accuracy
The more you train with a weighted ball, the faster you will become when you revert to a regular ball during game time. You should strive to use weighted balls more often than not during your training sessions.
3. Defensive Dummy (D-Man)
- PRO DEVELOPED: The XTRAMAN was developed by GoSports in collaboration with professional basketball coaches and players to deliver a versatile training aid for players of all abilities
- IMPROVE SHOOTING: The XTRAMAN simulates a defender to ensure players elevate their shots
- IMPROVE DRIBBLING , DRIVING: The XTRAMAN simulates a defender so players must maintain body control while driving to the lane
- PATENT PENDING: A GoSports Original Training Tool
- Included components: arms(2)
If you are constantly training your team members, then you might not need a defensive dummy as one or several of them can take up the role.
However, if you get to practice on your own sometimes, then having a defensive dummy would be a good idea. This is a box cut out that represents actual defenders with their arms up and as well as stretched out. Using a D-Man
cut-out presents a new challenge that will make your dribbling, shooting, and passing drills more diverse and realistic.
4. Skipping Rope
- Smooth and Fast: the ball bearing system avoids the twisting, winding or bending like other fitness ropes, it ensures stable and relaxed rotation, as our skipping rope can bear heavy load, which brings your a perfect exercise of skipping rope, also provides the best fluency for elite fitness professionals.
- Sports Fitness: our exercise skipping rope can shape your cardio endurance, stamina and speed, while improving the muscle tension of your whole body. A great choice for boxing, MMA and cross training.
- PVC Embedded Wire Rope: the braided steel wire rope is coated with PVC, which features durable and smooth, ensures the maximum service life and avoids cracking or breaking.
- Maximum Comfort: the gym skipping rope constructed with light weight ergonomic handles coated with 6 inch soft EVA memory foam grips for extra comfortable and strong grip, so that you can You can take full advantage for doing exercise.
- Adjustable Length: design with 9 feet long of the rope, it can be adjusted quickly according to your height. Suitable for adults and children.
Basketballer players need to be extremely conditioned. Be it cardiovascular exercises or agility drills, everything they do needs to enhance their game in some way.
You probably think that a skipping rope is more of a boxing or combat sport kind of equipment. While it is true that skipping ropes are more closely associated with these sports, the kind of effect they have is similar in every angle.
Boxers and fighters use skipping ropes to improve their cardiovascular conditioning, work on their footwork as well as stamina. Everything you will need as a basketball player. That’s why having a skipping rope as part of your training equipment is simply a must.
5. Basketball Shooting Machine
- Speed and Frequency Can Be Adjusted According To The Player's Habits And Skill Level.
- Circular Work System, Can Use 5 Ball Max.
- Automatically Rotates Baseline To Baseline, Or Anywhere In Between.
- Gift for the entire family! Your daughters and sons will love it
- World's Leader In Quality, The whole Team Will Love It
As much as every player has their designated roles in a team, the ultimate goal is to score more points than the opponent. This means that every player needs to know how to shoot accurately.
Shooting drills can be more fun and more efficient when you use a Basketball Shooting Machine. Many of these machines offer a host of features such as:
- Systematically rotating baseline to baseline as well anywhere in between
- Returning the ball with preset speeds and frequency
- Using more than one ball at a time
This will give the entire team a better chance to spend more time on shooting practice efficiently as opposed to running up and down the court trying to gather balls that have already been shot.
6. Rebounder Aid
- BASKETBALL REBOUNDER: Take basketball practice to the next level with this pass-back training aid! Set includes 1 foldable rebounder and 2 sand bags for added stability (sand not included)
- OPTIMIZE TRAINING: The rebounder gives players the freedom to perform pass-back training drills independently without the need for a training partner or coach, but is also great for 1-on-1 training and team drills
- FUNDAMENTAL SKILLS: Essential training tool for players of all ages and skill levels for practicing proper catch and shoot form, catch and drive skills, passing accuracy and more
- 5 MINUTE SETUP: Features telescoping legs and adjustable frame to adjust the angle of the rebounder net and the height of the return ‘pass’
Yet another excellent basketball training aid, a Basketball Rebounder is the perfect aid for any team looking to improve their shooting and points averages during a game.
Typically, shooters will post up around the three-point line and wait for the ball to be passed back to them by a teammate. If this offense is done correctly, the shooter will more often than not find themselves wide open and with enough time to pick their perfect shot.
Having a basketball rebounder will help each player practice this skill without necessarily needing a teammate during every training session.
This aid is placed at the post, and you can throw balls at it, catch the rebound, and practice shooting from anywhere on the three-point line.
7. Basketball Court Markers
- CREATE INSTANT DRILLS & GAMES: Use these Basketball Training Spot Markers to create fun training games and custom basketball shooting drills that isolate problem areas and focus your practice
- IMPROVE SKILLS: Lay out the 5 markers in a zig-zag pattern to develop and practice agility, create a series of shooting drills to target a selection of shots that players are having difficulty with, throw down a few spots in a zone to reinforce positioning and build good court sense; Great for games such as “Around the World” and “Horse”
- HIGH-VISIBILITY: Each of the 5 disc markers have a large 9-inch (22.9cm) diameter that can be easily spotted and read from different positions around the court; All markers are brightly colored for high visibility; Assorted colors include #1 blue, #2 green, #3 red, #4 purple, and #5 yellow
- NO ADHESIVE: Constructed from polyvinyl that sticks like glue to any gym floor or basketball court; Nonslip grip is offered with no adhesive – textured backing grips flooring just as adhesive stickers would, but unlike adhesive markers, these discs are reusable and leave the gym floor clean without scuffs or residue
- KEEP PLAYING: Flat design with 2/25-inch (2mm) super low profile will not disrupt play; 100 percent safe to step on; Great alternative to traditional basketball training markers such as cones that can be kicked out of place, or worse, roll an ankle
There are many aids that coaches use to mark a court for drills: cones and even chairs. The problem with this approach isn’t that it doesn’t get the job done because it does.
The issue is that there is an inherent danger of players slipping and hitting these markers, which pose an injury risk. So what is a coach to do when he or she wants to mark the court for specific drills? Use Basketball Court Markers. These are safe and non-slip and don’t pose quite as much an injury threat as other markers.
8. Agility Ladder
- Agility Ladder And Cones 20 Feet For Training: Ideal for beginners and professional athletes, this agility ladder is a must-have for improving speed, endurance, agility, coordination, quickness and overall athletic performance.
- Exercise Equipments10 Cones and 4 Metal Pegs: This agility ladder comes with 12 solid rungs,10 premium sports cones and bouns 1 carry bags and 4 metal peg for different drills and techniques.
- Easy Adjustable 12 Ladder Rungs Not Tangled : This speed and agility ladder is designed with high-quality plastic and straps.The 12 rungs are 100% adjustable to allow for different drills and exercises.Meanwhile,the exercise ladder have been assembled prior and gets tangled not easily.
- Portable and Durable Workout Training Sets : This workout ladder was enough weight with solid plastic to avoid slide. All you have to do to use this training ladder is simply unravel the straps and adjust the rungs for your needs or just keep as it is.
- 24 Months Product Support From YISSVIC : Every single one of YISSVIC products are covered by our support which means that you can contact us in case you are not entirely pleased with your order and we will provide you a best solution.
While a basketball game requires the players to have raw athleticism, the truth is that often, quick thinking and even better footwork wins out as opposed to brute strength and physical ability.
To develop this kind of agility in a player, the basketball player needs to work on their mind-body connection, which often calls for complicated drills on training aids such as agility ladders.
Not only are these tools excellent for improving a player’s athleticism, but they will also help them train their feet to move quicker, their minds to think better, and their entire gaming view to improve.
This is mostly because executing complicated drills on aids like agility ladders requires the player to think a few moves ahead to avoid tripping themselves over.
9. Basketball Dribbling Goggles
- Unique design helps train players to dribble and handle the ball without looking down
- Improves ball handling
- Does not interfere with shooting
- Adjustable fit
- Soft plastic makes this very comfortable to wear
There’s a reason why you will often hear coaches yelling “keep your eyes up” at players. Most players, especially novices, have the habit of keeping their eyes pointed down towards the ball. This means that they can’t:
- Read what the defense is doing
- See open passes
- Move the ball up the court
Granted, keeping your eyes up isn’t something that comes naturally to most people, and that’s why they need to run dribbling and ball passing drills using Basketball Dribbling Goggles.
These training aids often have a blind spot just under the player’s eyes and obscure their view, forcing them to look up. Once they realize that looking down is a disadvantage, they will learn to look up even without the goggles.
10. Dribble Trainer
- Material: ABS.
- ABS dribble trainer is simple in structure and easy to assemble and can be placed in a backpack.
- The height of the pole can be adjusted up and down as needed,suitable for basketball fans of all ages.
- Thin rod is protected by humanized rubber sleeve to prevent accidental injury caused by the rotating rod during using.
- Base has a large water injection port,which can quickly fill the water,increasing the stability of the trainer,making the trainer difficult to shake and not easy to fall.
Novice players need to learn the basics of dribbling, which include proper hand positioning, correct stance and defense, and keeping the ball as low as possible.
These are all techniques with which they can familiarize themselves when using a Dribble Trainer. This is a piece of basketball equipment that can be set up to represent the hands of the opposition. The beauty of a dribble stick like this is you can use the same trainer to drill a couple of players simultaneously.
These dribbling trainers come in great handy when players need to learn the fundamentals of dribbling. They are the perfect visual aid, and the fact that they are fully adjustable means that players can learn to dribble at every level of their game.
Of course, there are other basketball training equipment and aids available out there, but these are some of the most fundamental options. Every team or coach needs such aids and training equipment to teach their team the basics of basketball and help them advance past that point depending on the complexity of the drills in question.
Last update on 2021-06-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API