Do you find yourself working your way through numerous pairs of expensive running shoes, either through discomfort or by wear and tear? That is because each foot is unique, and each running shoe is designed for a specific type of run. If you can not find a shoe that suits you, then you need to decide what type of run you are doing before you make an expensive purchase.
With such a huge range of shoes, how can you decide which is for you? We help narrow it down in our guide to the best running shoes for each occasion.
Best Trail Running Shoes
- Aggressive lugs made of PWRTRAC tacky rubber conform to dig in and confidently grip a wide variety of terrains
- New PWRRUN cushioning ensures a responsive yet protective feel to push uphill and bomb downhill with confidence
- Rock plate that provides additional protection
- Reinforced to protect feet from trail debris, the trail-specific FORMFIT design gives the perfect lock-down fit over uneven terrain
- Category: Neutral
The Saucony Peregrine 10 gets the nod for the best trail running shoe. They are designed with comfort and grip in mind, making them ideal for wet, rugged outdoor surfaces. It has a number of features tailored to trail running.
One of these is FORMFIT technology. This uses three layers of adaptive cushioning, that balance out your weight and stride. This allows for a warm, breathable, and comfortable fit.
To help you grip, there are 5mm rubber lugs attached to the outer sole. Mesh is added to the outer carapace of the shoe to protect against abrasion and add strength. Finally, your soles are protected by a rock plate on the bottom of the shoe to stop and sharp objects halting your run.
Best Running Shoes for Metatarsalgia
- Pigskin/mesh upper
- Encap PU ring with EVA (Ethyl Vinyl Acetate) core
- Dual density collar foam
- ENCAP midsole technology provides support and maximum durability
- 12 mm drop: due to variances created during the development and manufacturing processes all references to 12 mm drop are approximate
The New Balance 990v4 is a great choice of running shoes for anyone with Metatarsalgia. It has a stable bottom with great cushioning, protecting the ball of your foot from any sudden impact that may flare up your problem. In addition, they have a snug fit and great all-round protection.
The dual-density collar foam helps protect the ankle and keep the whole foot stable. The blown rubber outsole and tough, pigskin upper give them both durability and offer the wearer a host of protection.
While they may not be as flexible as other sneakers and have a bulky appearance, for anyone suffering from metatarsalgia, this is exactly what you need. They are also great for anyone with a wide foot.
Best Running Shoes for Crossfit
- COMFORTABLE AND EXCEPTIONAL DESIGN: These Iconic training sneakers with Flexweave woven textile upper provide resilient stretch and targeted support at key performance areas for powerful maneuverability making them perfect for your training needs
- DURABLE AND STURDY MATERIAL: These cross trainer running shoes for men with lightweight EVA foam cushioning provide resilient performance, elevated stability, and comfort for agile fitness that keep you going all day long
- EFFICIENT FOOT SUPPORT: Feel the lightweight EVA foam cushioning, firm grip, and gliding transition with these symbolic gym hightops designed for phenomenal CrossFit and enduring functional fitness
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE SPORTS FOOTWEAR: These joggers for men are ideal for high intensity workouts, cardio, lifting sessions, climbing, and running like a ninja
The Reebok Nano X is a great shoe for Crossfit and other multi-purpose training sessions. Not only does it look great, but it also has a 4mm drop that provides all the cushioning and padding you need when swapping from quick runs to deep, weighted squats.
Its wide toe box makes it one of the best Crossfit shoes for wide feet. It has a breathable upper, with excellent padding and durability. It works especially well on short runs and any plyometric training.
Best for Beginners
- Mizuno WAVE: The Mizuno wave Plate disperses energy from impact to a broader area providing a stable platform and a superior cushioning
- U4ic Midsole: delivers optimal shock reduction, durability, and a superior ride. innovatively light, well cushioned, responsive, and resilient
- Smoothride: creates a smooth transition from heel to toe on every step
- X10 outsole: durable carbon rubber that allows for longer wear
- Energy foam: Mizuno Energy foam is more responsive and has more springy qualities compared to former running EVA technologies - U4ic and U4icX
The Mizuno Wave Rider has always been an exceptional lightweight running trainer, but its 24th version has a number of features that really separate it from the pack. Not only does it look fantastic, but it also has excellent cushioning and a softness ideal for beginners.
Each version of these shoes has featured Mizuno’s own wave palette, an extra layer of midsole cushioning that eases the transition from heel to toe. Combined with the generous, adaptable fit it provides stability that is much needed when starting out.
All of this is backed up by Mizuno Enerzy, their own new brand foam designed for a bouncy response. This is on top of a well-cushioned and firm midsole.
Best for Distance
- Breathable open engineered mesh upper with seamless synthetic overlays
- Breathable textile lining for abrasion-free wear
- Removable, foam padded insole for cushioning and support
- Durable full-length EVA midsole to absorb shock and offer stability
- Durable sole with rubber inserts for grip
The Hoka One One Clifton 7 is a perfect combination of lightweight design and cushioning, making it perfect for long-distance running. It does this by stacking up on EVA foam, a light, and highly shock-absorbent foam. As the miles pile up and your feet and legs begin to tire, the foam will carry on taking shocks and bumps for you.
The weight is kept to a minimum with a number of streamlining techniques, notable on the light upper. A flared heel collar prevents rubbing on the Achilles from long-distance repetition.
Best for Flat Feet
- THIS SHOE IS FOR: The Beast ’20 is perfect for runners who want to turn up the dial on support, cushioning, and comfort. Runners who prefer a little extra space in the forefoot may find these to be a perfect match.
- SUPER-SOFT CUSHIONING: The DNA LOFT cushioning provides a soft, luxurious feeling underfoot without losing responsiveness or durability.
- ENHANCED FIT: Enjoy comfort front to back with a spacious yet secure fit thanks to an engineered-mesh upper and conformable embroidered saddle.
- NEW LOOK: Embroidered saddle and eyestay create a modern look and strategic structure.
- HOLISTIC SUPPORT: We've shifted our focus beyond the feet to the most injury-prone part of a runner's body: the knees. GuideRails support keeps you moving comfortably by keeping excess movement in check.
Any running shoe for a person with flat feet requires a full-contact midsole and the Brooks Beast comes top for this in numerous reviews (the female version is named the Ariel). With enhanced midfoot support and a wide platform, it provides ample stability with added guide rails for anyone with an overpronating foot. As the arches roll inwards after your landing, this guide rail will add extra support, taking pressure from the foot and strain from the knees.
The shoe has been streamlined since its last version. Although it may look beefy, its weight is extremely deceptive making it excellent for the long run.
Best Running Shoes for Stability
Nike Air Zoom Structure 22 combines some of the brand’s greatest engineering and material technology in one of their most stable running shoes to date. Its signature air support and dynamic support system give a quick response in every aspect of the build.
Starting at the back, a wedge of soft molded foam supports the heel. Foam is tucked toward the lateral edge, so if your foot rolls inward when running you will have extra support. The midsole contains the dynamic support system, a soft foam set inside a firmer foam bed.
Finally, as your foot completes its arc, the zoom air unit at the front gives the shoe its response. This whole foot design has been extremely thought out and is backed up by the rigorous testing you would expect from a company such as Nike. A must-have shoe for anyone seeking stability.
Get the Advantage
Once you have the objective in mind and you know the fit you are looking for, go and try some of the best running shoes out. In fact, Sports Advantage can help you decide on a whole host of sports and leisure equipment that will help you reach your peak performance. Check out our handy reviews today, so you can get ahead of the pack with the best gear available.