Supination, also known as underpronation, is a common affliction for several runners and occurs when your weight rolls onto outside the edges of your feet. If you have well-adjusted feet, your foot should roll in a bit to let the weight fall on the ball of your foot allowing you to push off your big toe.
If you supinate, you will instead push off from your outer toes. If left untreated this can throw off the entire physical movement of your body. Some common effects of supination include back/hip pain, ankle injury, knee stress, etc.
Many factors contribute to supination ranging from poor genetics to excessive and limited exercise, and finally to improper runners that are often too tight. While you cannot address the first cause of genetics, the other two are certainly within your control.
One of the best ways to fix your case of supination is with proper footwear. Shoes with proper arch support can help to correct your gait and cushion your midfoot properly to alleviate pain during your stride. In this list, we will go over some of the best shoes available to help deal with your supinated feet.
1. Asics Men’s Gel-Contend 5 SL Walker
- The ASICS® GEL-Contend® 5 Walker is built for the daily walker looking for a walking shoe with versatile style and long-lasting stability.
- Predecessor: GEL-Contend 5.
- Support Type: Neutral to underpronation.
- Cushioning: Lightweight, flexible response.
- Surface: Road. Differential: N/A. Heel/Toe: N/A. Breathable mesh and synthetic upper materials. Laminate mid-foot cage provides structural support. Lace-up closure. Padded tongue and collar. Breathable fabric lining offers a great in-shoe feel. Ortholite® sockliner provides excellent underfoot support, comfort, and moisture management. AmpliFoam™ midsole is engineered to maintain durability at softer densities, providing better flexibility, comfort, and platform adaptability i
The ASICS Gel-Contend 5 SL Walker is one of the best choices particularly for men who suffer from supination. They are one of the cheaper ASICS models but still have a more professional aesthetic.
They also help your feet feel nice and snug but do not constrict you in any way. Many people with supination have to cut back on longer walks or long hours standing on their feet. The Gel-Contend 5 SL should help anyone with this problem.
They may feel stiff for the first few days, but this will change quickly and after a while, they’ll feel so comfortable that you will forget you’re wearing shoes. The Gel-Contend 5 uses AmpliFoam technology for its midsole which keeps your foot feeling nice and snug.
Additionally, they have added extra GEL cushioning underneath the heel. If you stride heel first along with your supination, you will likely feel a lot of pain. The GEL cushion will protect you from this problem.
The Gel-Contend 5 also has a quality outsole made of a thick layer of rubber to maximize durability when you walk on harder paved surfaces. The shoe’s upper is also made of a mesh material that lets your feet breathe to ensure you do not overheat. Additionally, the Gel-Contend 5 has an OrthoLite insole which gives ample support to your supinated underfoot.
These shoes are moisture-resistant as well as flexible and lightweight. They also come with a padded tongue and collar. Overall, the Asics Gel-Contend 5 is a great option for those who need more support for their supination.
2. Asics Women’s Gel-Nimbus 22 Running Shoe
- Rearfoot and Forefoot GEL Technology Cushioning System - Attenuates shock during impact and toe-off phases, and allows movement in multiple planes as the foot transitions through the gait cycle.
- Engineered Monofilament Upper -
- FlyteFoam Propel Technology - ASICS energetic foam formulation that provides supreme bounce thanks to a unique elastomer compound.
- Lightweight AHAR Outsole -
- EVA Sockliner - Removable sockliner that provides cushioning performance.
Asics is generally well-renowned for their designs and for having a plethora of high-end models of both running and walking shoes. They are often the number one choice for anyone who likes to maximize their foot comfort while on the go. The Gel-Nimbus 22 is no exception and is a great option, particularly for women suffering from supination.
This shoe is generally lighter than other runners available. It may look rather heavy, but it only weighs about 255 grams. This is because the Gel-Nimbus 22 was designed with high-end materials that emphasize durability without overdoing adding weight. Additionally, while lightweight shoes are not always as comfortable as we might think, the Gel-Nimbus is.
If you suffer from underpronation or supination, one of the primary effects you may also experience is plantar fasciitis. Plantar fasciitis can cause moderate to severe pain while you walk. The Gel-Nimbus 22 helps ease that pain because it has extra padding in the ankle area to keep your heel comfortable and secure.
The Gel-Nimbus also has an asymmetric lacing setup that will benefit your supinated foot. It uses FlyteFoam for its midsole which some deem the best cushioning material on the market.
It is twice as light as other midsole cushions and gives you just enough room for your foot to move smoothly. The FlyeFoam technology is also great for minimizing slippage within the shoe which can help alleviate any soreness while you walk.
The shoe’s upper also has a supremely well-designed mesh structure that limits heat absorption and ensures proper ventilation. As for the outsole, Asics has also included their TRUSSIC technology plastic plate that stabilizes your shoes to avoid any jolting, twists, and bends.
For many reasons, the Gel-Nimbus 22 shoes are some of the best shoes for supination. If you like long distance walks, then you will appreciate that these sneakers also have an adaptive fit. It is rare for wearers to experience any issues with skin irritation because they adjust so well to your foot over a short time.
These shoes have also proven themselves to be great for running on the road or the treadmill. They may not be the best option if you like to walk or run in the snow or rain, but they are otherwise reliably durable.
Lastly, it must be said that the Asics Gel-Nimbus 22 is one of the more aesthetically pleasing shoes on this list. It is highly customizable and there are many options to change either the design or color.
3. New Balance Men’s Ralaxa V1 Walker
- Upper features no-sew construction for a sleek fit and feel
- Synthetic and mesh material for a comfortable, breathable fit in every step
- Cush+ midsole cushioning delivers ultra-soft, all-day comfort without sacrificing support
Picking the best shoes to maximize comfort can be difficult for anyone but is a massive issue if you do a lot of standing and from supinated feet. Oftentimes, picking a trusted brand name like New Balance is a great way to ensure high-end quality.
If you suffer from supination, then the New Balance Ralaxa Walker shoes are best for you. These shoes were designed for people with wider feet who suffer from ankle pain, plantar fasciitis, and supination.
They have a cushioned tongue and collar on the outsole that provides ample support for underpronation, and a snug fabric lining to make sure your feet feel nice and comfortable. The Ralaxa’s insoles are also equipped with New Balance’s renowned Soft+Supportive technology.
The insoles are easily removable so if you need to insert a new orthotic insole, it should not be much of a chore. If your supination issues are a bit more severe, you will probably have specialized insoles inserted in.
These New Balance sneakers also have a durable insole with excellent shock absorption and CUSH+ technology that provides you with the additional stability your supinated feet probably need. Ralaxa sneakers also come with EVA outsoles and rubber pods that combine lightweight features with reliable stability.
The New Balance Ralaxa shoes have a great upper synthetic mesh that makes them very well-ventilated allowing for increased airflow and less heat absorption. Well-ventilated shoes are always an asset, but they are especially important for anyone who suffers from foot conditions like supination.
Overall, these are wonderful shoes with a slick aesthetic available in two different colors. They also come in a wide range of sizes and widths.
4. Mizuno Men’s Wave Rider 22 Running Shoe
- MIZUNO WAVE: Wave sets the standard for running shoe technologies.
- This neutral favorite uses a parallel CLOUDWAVE for cushioning and shock attenuation.
- Premium Sockliner
- Engineered Mesh Upper: Both breathable and durable for high performance.
- INTERCOOL: Cool and dry. Offers great breathability. Ventilation system reduces heat and humidity build-up inside the shoe during performance.
The Wave Rider 22 is a great pair of shoes that is incredibly advanced and equipped with carbon rubber near the heels for added durability and support. The Ridder 22 offers new levels of comfort which are a huge asset while walking or running. They also have flex controllers that act as waveplates to both increase the shoe’s flexibility while simultaneously decreasing its weight.
Another nice feature of the Rider 22 is its synthetic mesh material that is spread throughout the entire shoe for a more customizable fit and optimal ventilation. This paired with the carbon rubber heel make them an ideal choice for those suffering from supination issues.
Like the New Balance Relax for women, the Wave rider 22 also comes with a replaceable insole which is helpful since you may wear an orthotic insole if you suffer from supination. The midsole also comes with excellent shock absorption that will protect you from any jolts you may feel.
Several users have said that these shoes have been a great option while dealing with supination and cite their aggressive lug system as an asset while running on hard surfaces.
5. Hoka One One Bondi LTR Running Shoe
Hoka One is a French shoe brand that has become world-renowned for their superior shoes because of their extra comfortable feel. As such, they are a great option for people suffering from supination-related problems. The Bondi is their premier design with a revamped aesthetic that is one of the best on the market.
Your supination will likely require a shoe with superior cushioning which is the Bondi’s specialty. They have an EVA midsole that allows you to feel almost weightless while retaining a degree of stability. They are one of the softest walking shoes out there and come with extra width which will also help if you suffer from other foot issues like bunions or hammertoe.
The entire shoe base is quite wide and therefore customizable to a wide array of foot sizes. They have a 31 mm tall heel and a 27 mm tall forefoot which provides superior elevation and bounce, an asset for most forms of exercise.
As for the upper, it is also well-ventilated and will rarely cause your feet to overheat even after walking for hours. This is because it has a strong upper mesh and a moisture-resistant heel area. They also have a lace-up closure and ample padding around the tongue and the collar.
If you suffer from supination, then this will be a perfect choice for you since you will need additional support for your ankles.
They come in pretty standard sizes (5-11) and you can choose either a medium or wide width. They also have a sleek aesthetic with a unique color selection. They are your best bet if you want to prioritize comfort.
Here are some key things to look for if you are shopping for the best shoes for supination:
- Make sure they are flexible and allow your foot to roll naturally while still providing ample comfort and support.
- Look for shoes that offer proper shock absorption to anatomically align your feet.
- They should provide enough support from the heel to the front of the foot so that your body weight is evenly distributed over your entire foot and not just those two regions. This will soften the impact throughout your gait cycle and alleviate pain.
- Make sure the shoes adjust to your foot’s natural alignment.
- Ensure they alleviate any pain in your knees, thighs, hips, and lower back region.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What exactly is supination?
Supination is essentially when your weight rolls onto the outer edges of your feet rather than inward onto the ball of your foot. It often leads to an uneven distribution of weight and subsequently weakened shock absorption capabilities.
How do I know if I have supination?
For many people, this will not be an issue they have to think too much about when thinking of purchasing new shoes. Generally, this issue will pop up if you have a highly arched heel. Some common signs include:
- Your shoe is wearing down on one side
- You have moderate to severe ankle pain
- You have tight calves or Achilles tendons
- You suffer from plantar fasciitis
This comprehensive list should be a good guide if you are looking to buy shoes that support any supination-related issues you may have. All of these current shoe options are great tools to support your feet and to hopefully help correct weight alignment. They all look to combine both comfort and support so hopefully; supination will stop holding you back from your day-to-day activities.
Last update on 2021-10-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API