If you’ve just started working out, we’ll forgive you for not knowing about medicine ball. A medicine ball is one of the oldest pieces of workout equipment best known for optimizing coordination, strength and physical performance.
Medicine balls date back 3000 years ago to ancient Greece and the great Persian Empire. Long before CrossFit took over the fitness world, wrestlers and gladiators were using them to improve mobility and strength, and prepare for combat. The athletes of the time used animal skins and sand to engineer rudimentary versions of the medicine ball that we see today.
Now a standard home gym, sports centers and training halls accessory, more and more new generation fitness enthusiasts are rediscovering and appreciating the benefits of medicine ball. The modern-day medicine balls are manufactured with synthetic leather or rubber shell. They come in different sizes and weights to fit all fitness needs.
Unlike basketballs and soccer balls, medicine balls aren’t intended to be dribbled or kicked. Instead, they’re often tossed, either against a wall, to the ground, or to a partner. When used properly, the tool offers users alternative exercises to incorporate into their workout routines. If you’re in the market for an affordable exercise tool that adds another dimension to your training routine, join the club!
A medicine ball is probably the only fitness device that you can utilize for whole body toning. It will help you get in tip-top shape, improve your balance and better your performance. It uses all your muscle groups to improve overall body strength. The best thing about it is that it is fun to use and you don’t need to be an expert. Also, they take up hardly any space.
Ideal for therapeutic use, medicine balls can be used for rehabilitation exercises. They are known to stimulate muscles after an injury. Patients can use a medicine ball to regain mobility and promote general health.
Best Medicine Balls for 2020
With all of the options available on the market, picking the best medicine ball can be a challenging feat especially for those just starting to exercise with them. Some balls are better than others.
Like kettlebells and dumbbells, medicine balls vary their weight and sizes to adapt to all types of users. Ranging from 900 grams to 15kg, they are suitable for both light and intense routines. The cost of medicine balls generally increases with weight.
When considering surface material, it’s vital to take into account how intense you plan on making your workouts and the type of surface you’ll be bouncing the ball on. The type of stitching is also important as it determines the durability of the ball. The best medicine balls are double or triple stitched for quality and durability. You’ll dig deeper into your pockets for a leather ball with elaborate stitching.
Whether you want to train casually for the benefits or competitively for a match, a medicine ball will help you build strength, muscle, stamina, speed, balance, coordination and agility. Here are the best medicine balls 2020.
Titan Fitness Soft Wall Medicine Ball
- SMOOTH GRIP: Made of durable, highquality PU leather and PP cotton material, the Titan Wall Balls are soft and grippable. The exercise ball's large, ergonomic build makes it easy to throw, catch, and carry even when sweaty.
- FULL BODY WORKOUT: You can use this ball for overhead lunges, pushups, bear crawls, Russian twists, squat throws, thrusters, air squats, situps, and more! It's a great muscle toner and strengthener, and you'll love how it improves your athletic life.
- NOT MEANT FOR SLAMMING: Use the wall ball for standard medicine ball exercise routines, throw against a wall or straight up to work out your core, and develop endurance. This ball is not meant for slam ball exercises.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: The wall ball comes with even weight distribution and doublestitched, reinforced seams, making this piece of workout equipment quality at its finest.
- DIMENSIONS: The 10 lb. Wall Ball measures at 14in and comes in black and blue coloring.
Titan Fitness has a reputation for manufacturing low-cost workout equipment. If you’re working on a budget, you should give the Titan soft wall ball a try. They are not the highest quality medicine balls on the market, but the price simply cannot be beaten. The balls utilize a heavy-duty synthetic leather shell and a sand interior. To inhibit leakage, it has tight double stitching. It has 2 straps on both sides of the ball for holding. This ball is an excellent choice if you want to burn calories, work out your core and improve muscle. The color-coded feature lets you easily identify weight. The balls come in choices of 6, 10, 14, 20 and 30-pound weights. Note that this ball is not meant to be used for slam ball exercise routines. Wrong usage will damage the ball.
Valeo-Pound Medicine Ball
- STRENGTH, COORDINATION, BALANCE: Classic medicine ball workout helps develop core strength, improve coordination, and fine-tune balance ideal for strength training, plyometric training, balance training and building muscle
- SIZE & BOLD COLOR OPTIONS: Based on your personal strength needs, available weight options: 4lbs, 6lbs, 8lbs, 10lbs, 12lbs
- DURABLE & TEXTURED MATERIAL: Sturdy rubber construction, textured surface provided an easy solid grip. Can bounce off hard surfaces
- FITNESS GUIDE: Exercise wall chart included for Medicine Ball Training made easy
Valeo is no newcomer to the fitness industry. They have been producing high-quality workout equipment for years, and the Valeo-Pound medicine ball is a great addition to their inventory. It may look similar to a basketball, but the weighted ball can be used for different exercise routines. The ball features a textured surface and solid rubber construction, assuring users easy holding capability and a solid grip. The ball comes in proper sizes (4, 6, 8, 10 and 12-pound options) making it easy to handle, and can be used with or without gloves. Offering a fine-tuned balance in balance training, strength training and building muscle, use it to develop coordination, balance and endurance skills. Since the medicine ball has no filling material, there are no chances for leaking. Even after throwing on a rough surface, the ball shape won’t change. The ball is water-safe, meaning you can use it for water aerobics. The package comes with an exercise wall chart to get you started.
DYNAPRO Medicine Ball
- DURABLE RUBBER CONSTRUCTION HANDLES STRESS EASILY: Designed to withstand the pressure of constant slamming or bouncing on the floor or wall, our air-filled Medicine Ball is made of a durable rubber casing that is burst-resistant and delivers twice the bounce than other brands.
- FIVE WEIGHT OPTIONS MATCH ANY FITNESS LEVEL: Whether you're a beginner or a seasoned athlete, there's a weighted exercise ball that's right for you. Start with the 4lb ball and move up gradually to 6, 8, 10 or 12lbs to strengthen and tone your core and upper and lower areas of your body.
- DUAL SURFACE TEXTURES ENSURE A NON SLIP GRIP: DynaPro Medicine Balls are designed with a diamond pattern on the black surface and a marble texture on the rest of the ball. This dual pattern delivers a secure and steady grip so you can safely handle the weighted ball during slamming, bouncing or tossing.
- PACK MORE POWER INTO YOUR WORKOUT: A DynaPro Medicine Ball offers unlimited variations to basic moves such as squats, shoulder presses, push-ups, lunges, chest tosses, jumps, and deadlifts. Med ball exercises combine the power of weight training with speed of movement to build explosive strength and endurance into your training program.
- PERFECT FOR SOLO OR GROUP EXERCISE: Use it alone, with a training partner or a group exercise class at home, in the gym, outdoors or anywhere you feel the need to give your muscles that extra challenge anytime of the day.
Popular with beginners, this solid medicine ball is designed and crafted out of durable, burst-resistant rubber casing to survive the pressure of constant bouncing. Available in 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12-pound weight options, the versatile workout aid features dual surface textures. You get a diamond pattern on a black surface, while the rest of the ball has a textured marble design. This offers a steady and secured grip so you can hold the ball for long. DYNAPRO medicine ball delivers twice as much of a bounce as other balls. It offers unlimited variations to basic moves such as push-ups, shoulder presses, jumps, squats, chest tosses, lunges and deadlifts. The ball comes in 6 color options and is perfect for both solo and group exercise routines.
j/fit Soft Wall Medicine Ball
- FUNCTIONAL TRAINING: Not intended for slamming exercise, this extremely versatile, premium JFIT Soft Wall Ball can be used for multiple workout goals, with use in strength training and plyometric exercises, burpees, crunches, and beyond
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Premium heavy-duty vinyl coated shell, has been laser cut, triple stitched, and hand stuffed to maintain balance and keep shape, while featuring a non-slip grip making it easy to hold during your sweat session
- MULTI-PURPOSE TOOL: Use this quality wall ball for more than just your workout by stretching and rolling out tight and sore muscle fibers using your weight and gravity against the surface area of the ball to release tension
- IMPROVE ENDURANCE: Excellent for men and women looking to increase core strength, improve stabilization, and muscle density, press through your next wall squat while maintaining a steady grip during your exercise routine
- PERFECT SIZE: All sizes have a 14” diameter, except the 4LB ball which has a 9” diameter, allowing you to add variety and challenge yourself with our premium wall balls that are balance tested, with even weight distribution
j/fit is a renowned fitness brand that has served professional fitness enthusiasts for almost two decades. Their soft wall medicine ball features a tighter and thicker skin to endure any rough uses. For durability, you get a triple-stitched and heavy-duty covering. This ensures the specialty medicine balls last longer for all your explosive tossing drills. The sturdy construction keeps the ball in shape and makes it effective at absorbing impact. You can use the ball to improve muscular strength, coordination and balance. The extra resistance means it’s perfect for lunges, twisting and squats. All weight balls, except the 4lb ball, are 14” in diameter and red/black in color. They come in 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 18, 20, 25 and 30-pound options. This soft wall medicine ball is not meant for slamming.
REP FITNESS V2 Soft Medicine Ball
Being well-constructed with gripper leather material, Rep Fitness medicine balls can withstand even the most intense workouts. In case you miss the target, the wall balls are soft grippable. Primarily intended for wall ball exercising, you can use the balls for squat targets, abdominal twists and side to side throws with a partner. All the balls have a 14” diameter for a consistent feel across all weights. They are also well balanced and double stitched with thick thread. The shells of these balls are color-coded by weight. Instead of being stenciled, the logo and weight are stitched into the shells. This gives the balls a premium feel. If you have more than one ball, it is easy to identify the weight and progress easily through different exercises. Being impact resistant helps the ball to maintain its shape.
There you have it: 5 top medicine balls to supercharge your workouts. Adding a medicine ball to your workout routine can be just what you need if you want to challenge yourself and improve your core. All the medicine balls in our list are made of high-quality materials, durable, built to last and won’t break your bank.
Last update on 2021-05-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API