The human body itself is unable to produce the required amounts of vitamins. As such, they must be obtained from the diet. Vitamins are vital elements of the total nutritional requirements. In order to be healthy and develop adequately, children need vitamins and minerals in tiny amounts. You should incorporate Calcium, Fiber, Vitamins A, B, C and D, Iron, Fluoride and a multitude of other vitamins and minerals into your child’s diet. Failure to do that will result in deficiency.
For children who eat well and a variety of healthy whole foods, they can get all the nutrients they need from the foods without the need for vitamin supplementation. A balanced, healthy diet includes plenty of leafy, green vegetables and fresh fruits; milk and dairy product like yogurt and cheese; proteins like fish, eggs, chicken and beef; and whole grains like brown rice and steel-cut oats. Unknown to many parents, children have different nutritional needs from grownups. The question you need to ask yourself id, “Do my meals meet my child’s nutritional needs?”
Unfortunately, it’s becoming harder to get essential vitamins from food. This is because most parents feed their children foods that lack sufficient quantities of vitamins. Due to their busy lifestyles and participation in sports activities, those well-rounded, home-cooked meals aren’t always possible. It’s also difficult to get enough vitamin D through food alone. Kids can be notoriously picky eaters. If your kid has erratic eating habits or a poor appetite, a vitamin supplement should be considered. The same applies if your child consumes a highly selective diet.
Best Vitamins Supplements for Kids
Depending on your kid’s age, he/she will require different amounts of vitamins and minerals for growth and development. For instance, kids aged 2-3 need fewer calories, veggies, protein and dairy than their 4-8 year old counterparts. There are aisles and aisles of vitamin supplements for kids – but which ones do you really need? Kids vitamins can be confusing – not all multivitamins contain the same number of vitamins and minerals. We scoured the internet to present you 5 of the best vitamin supplements for kids.
SmartyPants Kids Complete Daily Gummy Vitamins
- All New Upgraded Kids Formula! Now our vitamins include even more premium ingredients: Beta Carotene, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K2 and Choline (Packing May Vary)
- Non GMO. Free of milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nut allergens, fish allergens, shellfish, soy, gluten and wheat. No synthetic colors. No artificial sweeteners/flavors. 3RD PARTY LAB TESTED. No refrigeration required
- For children 4 years of age and older, take four (4) gummies daily. May be taken with or without food.
- 13 essential nutrients: vitamin D3 for bone & immune health, vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin) for energy, omega 3 EPA & DHA (from fish oil), vitamin E (from sunflower oil) for antioxidant support and iodine for thyroid support.*
- Multivitamin gummies for kids with omega 3 EPA & DHA (essential fatty acids) sustainably sourced from wild caught small fish
If you are looking for a kids’ multifunctional multivitamin manufactured from carefully-selected gluten-free, non-GMO ingredients, look no further than SmartyPants Kids Complete. It’s free of 8 most common allergens including shellfish, eggs, milk, wheat, peanuts, soy, tree nuts allergens and fish allergens. SmartyPants’ approach to science-based nutrition ensures the highest quality ingredients available. Every serving delivers an adequate blend of 13 premium vitamins and nutrients including Vitamin D and D3, Vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin), Omega-3 EPA and DHA essential fatty acids, Vitamin E and Iodine to fill typical nutrient gaps in the average Western diet. The omega-3 (balanced EPA and DHA) sourced from fish oil supports bone, immune, energy and thyroid health; Vitamin D helps your child build strong teeth and bones; Vitamin B12 supports normal immune function; and Folate helps your child’s body convert food into energy. The supplement uses all-natural flavors derived from sources like fruits, spices, vegetables and /or herbs to make them extra sweet. You no longer have to worry about synthetic colors, artificial sweeteners or flavors.
NovaFerrum Pediatric Drops Liquid Iron Supplement
- Great Tasting Liquid Iron Supplement
- For Infants & Children Under 4 Years of Age
- Naturally Sweetened Great tasting Raspberry Grape flavor
- Free of sugar, alcohol, dye, lactose, gluten, peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, and soy. Kosher and Vegan Verified
- Once a day dosing - 120 servings (4-month supply)
Iron deficiency is common in children, and it affects an estimated 8 percent of toddlers. Kids with anemia have lower red blood cells (RBCs) count than usual. RBCs contain hemoglobin, a protein responsible for carrying oxygen throughout the body. The body needs iron to make hemoglobin. Without enough iron, less hemoglobin and fewer RBCs are made, leading to anemia. Iron deficiency can hamper your child’s growth. This NovaFerrum supplement is used to treat or prevent low iron in your child’s body. The Patent Pending formula offers a great source of supplemental iron. It is naturally sweetened to taste great meaning that your kid will love it. NovaFerrum Liquid Iron Supplement has a great tasting raspberry-grape or chocolate flavors. The supplement doesn’t have the unpleasant metallic aftertaste you find in most liquid iron supplements. Meant for infants and children under 4 years of age, this liquid iron is free from Gluten, Dye, Sugar, Alcohol, Peanuts, Corn, Lactose, Dairy, Soy or Tree Nuts. This Kosher and Vegan Verified supplements contains no artificial colors or sweeteners. Once a day dosing means the 120 servings will last you 4 months.
MegaFood, Kids One Daily, Daily Multivitamin and Mineral Dietary Supplement
- FOR CHILDREN 5 YEARS AND UP: A comprehensive multi that's mom formulated and kid approved; Packed with whole food nourishment plus added nutrients for your child
- NOURISHES THE WHOLE BODY: Provides 24 FoodState Nutrients to support your child's healthy growth and development; Includes our FoodState Fruit Phenolic Blend with naturally occurring phytonutrients
- TAKE ANY TIME OF DAY: Take 1 mini-tablet any time of day, even on an empty stomach; Easy-to-swallow and made without sweeteners, flavorings or food colorings
- OBSESSED WITH QUALITY: Made without GMOs, tested for 125+ herbicides and pesticides, Free of dairy and soy; Certified B Corp; Certified Glyphosate Residue Free; Certified Kosher
- A MORE SUSTAINABLE FUTURE: We craft premium supplements with real food and added nutrients; We source foods from trusted farm partners who share our commitment to organic and regenerative agriculture
This comprehensive multivitamin and mineral dietary supplement by MegaFood supports optimal health and wellbeing of kids aged 5 years and older. The mom formulated and kid approved formula includes a whopping 24 FoodState Nutrients including Folate, Vitamins C and D meant to support your kid’s healthy growth and development naturally. The Fruit Phenolic Blend nourishes your child’s body with organic blueberries, cranberries and whole oranges. The supplement is free of soy and dairy, non-GMO and Certified Kosher. The ingredients are sourced from trusted farm partners. The easy-to-swallow and digest 60 tablets (60 servings) can be taken any time of the day, even on an empty stomach. It’s free of added flavorings, sweeteners and food colorings.
ChildLife Liquid Vitamin C
- Child life vitamin c
- Orange flavor
- Immune support
- 4 Ounce (Pack of 3)
Primarily well-known as an antioxidant, Vitamin C is also vital for healthy immune function. Using this supplement will support your child’s natural immune responses and defend his or her body. This Liquid Vitamin C by Childlife has a natural orange flavor to ensure ease of use for children of all ages. The taste will have your kids asking for it every day. The benefits of liquid Vitamin C for children are fully gained by regular use. Daily use of this supplement may help to maintain and improve the overall health of your kid. Made using only the highest quality ingredients, this formula is casein-free, gluten-free and alcohol-free. Available in Glass Bottle, 4-Ounce (Pack of 3), the supplement contains no eggs, milk, wheat, tree nuts, peanuts, shellfish, fish or yeast. No artificial flavorings, sweeteners or colorings.
Coral Calcium Kids Gummy
- Designed for kids, Coral LLC's Natural Calcium Gummies offer 300 mg of bioavailable calcium derived from EcoSafe, above-sea coral
- 501 IU of Vitamin D3 (125 percent of recommended daily value), which together help support healthy bone development, teeth and metabolic function.
- The distinct nature of coral calcium brings with it 73 other natural minerals beneficial to good health
- Featuring all-natural colors and flavor
- These delicious gummies, which are also gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free, soy-free, gelatin free and non-GMO, will please both children and parents alike.
Designed for kids, these natural Calcium gummies by EcoSafe offer 300 mg of bioavailable Calcium and 500 IU of Vitamin D3 which together help support teeth, bone development and metabolic function. Coral Calcium Gummies for Kids is a delicious way for youngsters to get their calcium every day. The calcium is derived from above sea coral. In addition, the distinct nature of coral calcium offers 73 other natural minerals that will enhance your kid’s health. The delicious gummies feature all-natural flavor and colors. They are also non-GMO and free from wheat, gluten, dairy, soy and gelatin.
PRO TIP: Adorable looking vitamin supplements are not always the best ones. Looks can be deceiving, Vitamins are not candy. It is always advisable to consult a pediatrician or a registered dietician/nutritionist before giving your kid a vitamins supplement.
Over-the-counter supplements for kids are generally safe. It is, however, worth noting that just like any other drug, if taken in excessive amounts, some supplements, particularly the fat-soluble vitamins like A, D, E and K, can turn out to be toxic. Stick to the dose recommended on the supplement’s label. I hope our list helps you in navigating the world of kids’ vitamins!