The benefits of participating in athletics, whether competitive or noncompetitive, is well documented. Playing organized sports is a great way for young athletes to stay fit and healthy, learn about teamwork and develop motor skills. For most folks, learning the proper form or technique or picking the right sports gear may be the first things that cross their minds when it comes to keeping young athletes safe, but there’s certainly more to it.
Injuries from playing different sports are on the rise. Sports injuries may be caused by improper coaching or training, unsafe playing surfaces, not stretching or warming up properly, individual risk factors, poor nutrition or hydration, playing while injured and inappropriate pressure to win. The good news is that most of these injuries can be predicted and prevented. One mistake most athletes, especially young ones, make is to view the use of sports safety equipment as odd or old fashioned. The repercussions may be catastrophic. Common injuries include tears, anterior cruciate ligament, shoulder dislocations and ankle sprains.
Best Sport Safety Items for Young Athletes
Safety has been a hot topic in youth sports for many years. Back in 2014, Safe Kids Worldwide released a study of youth sports injuries. The nonprofit advocacy group surveyed 1000 young athletes, 1000 parents and 1005 coaches. The survey pointed out that 90 percent of the young athletes reported being hurt while training or playing a sport. While a majority of the reported injuries were minor such as bruises and bumps, 4 percent involved torn ligament injury, 12 percent head injuries, 13 percent broken bones, 24 percent dehydration and 37 percent strains and sprains.
Equipping yourself with the right sports safety item will go a long way in preventing a lot of injuries or reducing the severity in case you’re involved in an accident. The fun in sports lies with training or playing without the worry that something bad may happen to you. That is why you should always prepare yourself with the right sport safety items.
Best Protective Eyewear: Dewalt DPG82 -11/DPG82-11CTR Dual Mold Safety Goggles
- DEWALT tough Coat hard coated lens provides tough protection against scratches
- DEWALT Xtra clear anti-fog lens coating provides tough protection against fogging
- Soft, dual injected rubber conforms to the face to provide a high level protection from dust and debris
- Adjustable, elastic cloth head strap provides a comfortable fit
- Ventilation channels allow breathability and added protection against fogging
Research shows that 92 percent of eye-related injuries during sports can be prevented by using protective eye wear. If you’re planning on keeping your eyes protected during training, you must consider their use. What a better option to go for than the Dewalt DPG82-11CTR Dual Mold Safety Goggle? This is a dual mode goggle with hard coated lens which provide protection against scratches and injuries. The lens is anti-fogged for protection against fogging. It also comes with soft and dual injected rubber that conforms to the face for protection against dust and debris.
The Dewalt Dual Mold Safety Goggle is your equipment for eyesight safety. The manufacturers took time with its designing to ensure that the result are impeccable. Other cool features and specifications include head straps that are comfortable and easy to fit in, an in-built ventilation channel and 99.9 percent UVA/UVB Protection. The goggle is designed as per the ANSI Z87.1+ standards.
Best Helmet: Schutts Sports Vengeance VTD II Football Helmet
- Low-profile helmet shell, which makes it lightweight
- TPU cushioning is featured inside the helmet even in the inter-link jaw pads
- The liner on the helmet wraps itself around the player's head, evenly distributing the pressure and weight
- Includes standard with mechanically attached inter-link jaw pads and a SC4 hard cup chinstrap
- Open Air flow inside the helmet is enhanced with the open sided TPU cushions (Facemask Sold Separately)
Cyclists, skateboarders, skiers, snowboarders and football and hockey players are at the highest risks of head injuries. A properly fitted helmet will significantly reduce this risk. We recommend the Schutts Sports Vengeance VTD II Football Helmet; a high-quality football helmet engineered to maximize performance. Its features ensure that minimal injuries will occur to your head. Its construction is per the Virginia Tech Protocol.
The helmet’s cushioning system comprises of a ribbed system constructed with one layer that greatly absorbs shock as well as reduces the overall weight of the helmet. The helmet also comes with an outer cushion system which features an airliner that makes the helmet have a soft pillow feel. For the face guard, it has a patented twist release system which makes it possible to attach or remove the helmet. This helmet is comfortable to wear and will leave you focused on the game rather than ensuring a flying elbow doesn’t hit you.
Best Mouth Guard: Sisu Aero 1.6 mm Mouth Guard
- SISU Max NextGen mouth guards offer premium, warrantied dental protection for players age 11 and up, including adults
- 2.4mm thick, the Max offers the most protection of any SISU guard, but is still 30% thinner than conventional sports mouth guards
- The slim, custom fit makes it easy to talk, breathe and drink without removing the guard, which contributes to better hygiene
- Diffusix technology scientifically distributes impact forces from soccer, football, hockey, lacrosse, basketball, and other contact games
- Compared to the original, NextGen SISU guards feature a wider bite pad, rounded edges for comfort, and improved mold-ability to ensure a perfect fit
Mouth guards come with a lot of benefits and the most essential of them is to keep your teeth where they should be – in your mouth. They assist in reducing the effect of a concussion and fractured jaw and also prevent tongue and lip injuries. For any sports that may have injuries to the face, jaw or mouth, mouth guards are mandatory. A good mouth guard fits well and is comfortable. It is easy to clean and durable. All these are factors that you should consider before purchasing yourself a mouth guard. One mouth guard that best fits this description is the Sisu Aero 1.6 mm Mouth Guard.
This mouth guard comes in an ultra-thin design, 50 percent thinner than other mouth guards, which makes it more comfortable and convenient. One advantage of its slim and custom design is that you can easily talk, breath and drink without removing the guard. The guard features a wider bite pad and rounded edges for comfort. You should consider the Sisu Aero 1.6 mm Mouth Guard for ultra protection.
Best Athletic Shoes: PUMA Tazon 6
- T-toe construction, Lace closure for a snug fit
- Midfoot saddle for optimum fit and comfort
- Breathable EcoOrthoLite, sockliner for optimum fit and comfort,Cushioned midsole for comfort
- EVA heel pod offers cushioning and shock absorption, TPU shank for increased stability
The importance of shoes is obvious; protecting your feet from all sorts of harm and injuries. Shoes provide good support and traction, and also reduce the pain. But that’s not all, you need good shoes that are comfortable and won’t cause discomfort to your feet. Moreover, shoes that you can wear for very long hours without pain. With this, we present to you the PUMA Tazon 6. Made out of 100 percent synthetic leather; you will be super comfortable in them leave alone having fears of injuries. Its outsole is made of rubber that provides it with the necessary grip and also ensures that it stands the test of time.
Its heel pod is made using EVA that comes with a shock absorbing property. Its mid-foot saddle, on the other hand, is designed for comfort and perfect fit. The shoes are perfect for all sportsmen who track a lot, such as runners, footballers and cyclists. Hundreds of positive reviews are proof of its super quality. Coming from a reputable brand, its purchase won’t disappoint.
Best Neck Guard: Shock Doctor Ultra Neck Guard
- LIGHTWEIGHT & FLEXIBLE- pre-curved neck guard contours to the neck while enhancing reinforced protection
- COMFORTABLE adjustable strap to ensure a pristine fit
- MAXIMUM PROTECTION- Made with cut resistant fibers
- BNQ CERTIFIED- Constructed with premium cut-resistant aramid fiber reinforced core, soft knit lining and durable outer materials
- BIO-FIT- Anatomically contoured neck wrap with flexible, pre-curved low-density foam for comfort and mobility
If you’re a hockey lover, this next equipment is for you. The neck guard is something that you should always have on as a hockey player. Our recommendation for the best neck guard lies with the Shock Doctor Ultra Neck Guard. What you’re settling for with this one is pre-curved equipment that is highly lightweight and flexible. It is fitted with an adjustable strap for maximized comfort and to ensure a pristine fit. The guard is durable. This is attributed by its aramid fiber and soft neat lining. The purpose of the neck guard is to help you worry less about the status of your neck but rather focus on the game. This one does a pretty good job at that.
Safety is key in every sport; otherwise; the last thing you want is for your kid to be sidelined by an injury. So the goal should be fun and good health. It is 2019 and many manufacturers in the sports industry have incorporated the use of technology to enhance the performance of their products. Today’s products are more advanced to ensure that you get the best experience while playing. All you can now focus on is getting improving your performance. With that said, make an effort to purchase some if not all of the above-mentioned products. They are all available on Amazon.com for purchase and shipment.