Massage guns are all the rage on social media and TV, with trainers and fitness coaches touting the benefits of at-home massage therapy.
But you might be wondering: What do they do?
What is a Massage Gun?
Massage guns work through a targeted type of massage called percussive or vibration therapy. The rapid strokes of the massage gun provide bursts of pressure to your muscle tissue, increasing blood flow. This increase in blood flow helps heal soreness by relieving tension, reducing inflammation, and breaking up tight spots.
Vibration therapy is also helpful before athletic activities as it helps prepare and warm up the muscles. Over the longer term, it may help improve performance.
Handheld massage guns take vibration therapy and make it portable. You can use them in the privacy of your own home or bring them with you to the gym.
So now that we know the benefits, what are the best handheld massage guns to buy now? In this article, we’ll explore four of the top massage guns on the market and what makes them each stand out.
Top 4 Best Handheld Massage Guns
Handheld massage guns are flooding the market, and it can be hard to know where to start. Don’t worry. We’ve narrowed down the field to the four best handheld massage guns. We’ll explain each one’s best features and the pros and cons to help you decide.
Theragun Pro – Best Overall
- POWERFULLY QUIET - Proprietary brushless QX150 motor with QuietForce Technology delivers powerful, professional-grade deep muscle treatment as quiet as average massage devices
- 300 min. CONTINUOUS BATTERY LIFE - Includes 2 rechargeable lithium-ion batteries (150 min. each). Charge one while the other is in use and continuously swap for all-day run time.
- CUSTOMIZABLE SPEED RANGE & OLED SCREEN - Monitor current speed and force on OLED screen, access any speed between 1750-2400 PPMs via Therabody app
- ROTATING ARM & ERGONOMIC MULTI-GRIP - allows you to hold the device in a number of ways while reducing strain on your hands and arms.
- SMART APP INTEGRATION - Connects to app via Bluetooth to run personalized wellness routines based on your behaviors & preferences
While the Theragun Pro rings in as the most expensive on this list, you do get what you pay for. The Theragun is a darling of the social media world, so we tried it out to see if it was worth all the hype.
Overall, this is a surprisingly powerful massage gun that can deliver a professional-grade muscle treatment. The gun can handle up to 60 pounds of force, great for athletes working on recovery. The model comes with two batteries that you can swap out and charge alternately. Each battery lasts 150 minutes.
The Pro offers five different speed settings and six foam attachments to give you versatility in the type of pressure you need. The adjustable arm helps users of different heights get to the toughest-to-reach parts of their body.
Overall, Theragun proves its place at the helm of handheld massage technology, and the Theragun Pro delivers a high-quality massage.
- Powerful, professional-grade muscle treatment
- Strong battery life
- Six different attachments
- Adjustable arm
- Carrying case with strap
- Smart-phone connected app
- OLED screen and Bluetooth capabilities
- Despite its quieting technology, still somewhat loud
TimTam Power Massager – Best for Athletes
- IMPROVED BATTERY PERFORMANCE: Long-lasting lithium-ion battery good for over 40 minutes of continuous use
- SMOOTHER POWER, QUIETER OPERATION: It clocks in at 25dB, instantly hear the difference
- RECOVER IN SECONDS, NOT DAYS: In just 30 seconds you can gain the benefits of percussion massage anywhere, anytime
- POWERFUL - Industrial-grade motor delivering 2500 powerful strokes per minute
- MASSAGE ANYWHERE - At just 2.2lbs, cord-free and supplied with a carrying case the All New PowerMassager is perfect, wherever you train
The TimTam Power Massager is the best option for athletes looking for deep tissue massage therapy. The massager delivers an intense and targeted treatment that can relieve muscle soreness within minutes.
While it delivers on power, the newest TimTam also manages to be quieter and more lightweight than previous models. A padded carrying case makes it easy to throw in a gym bag and take with you on-the-go.
The handle design makes it easy to reach wherever you are sore, and the 90-degree articulating head helps with placement.
The battery life isn’t the greatest compared to some other models, but it is swappable to extend life. New technology by TimTam helps offer a quieter massage as well.
Overall, the TimTam Power Massager offers possibly the deepest recovery massage on the market.
- Powerful massage relieves soreness in minutes
- Lightweight and portable
- Versatile reach with rotating head
- Relatively quiet
- Not for light massage
- Low battery life compared to other models
Hyperice Hypervolt – Best On-the-Go
- BLUETOOTH ENABLED: The Hypervolt massager seamlessly syncs with the Hyperice App to help guide you through pre-built, or custom recovery programs
- Cordless state-of-the-art percussion massage device that helps relax sore and stiff muscles to improve mobility
- QUIET GLIDE TECHNOLOGY- whisper quiet percussion device
- 3 SPEED SETTINGS deliver up to 3200 percussions per minute
- UP TO 3 HOURS OF USE PER CHARGE- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
Hyperice has made itself a name in the massage gun world. The Hypervolt, in particular, is popular with trainers and coaches for its quietness and portability. Not only is it the most portable, but it’s also the quietest, delivering a vigorous massage with just a slight hum.
Weighing in at only 2.5 pounds with a small streamlined design, you can truly carry the Hypervolt with you anywhere. Five attachments bring versatility but also fit snugly in a small pouch. It’s even TSA approved for carry-on and includes additional plug adaptors for travel.
Despite its small size, the Hypervolt still delivers on speed and intensity. Three different speed settings help users adjust to their specific recovery and muscle-targeting needs.
The Hypervolt also has one of the longest-lasting batteries on the market, also contributing to its portability. The battery charges quickly, and a gauge shows you how close you are to needing a recharge.
Like the Theragun, it is Bluetooth-enabled and connects to an iPhone.
- Quietest option
- Good battery life
- Variable speed settings
- Five attachments
- Extremely light and portable
- Doesn’t deliver as much power as some models
- Less speed variability
Exerscribe VYBE Percussion Massage Gun – Best Price
- Perfect for breaking up the knots in muscles and muscle recovery after a workout, effective at increasing your range of motion, the pulsating action gets deep into the muscle to remove aches and pains
- The Vybe Pro Model Massager is a well built high quality machine with 9 speeds and a very powerful percussion vibration giving you 1800, 3400 strokes per minute depending on the speed you select
- If you are looking for a quiet massager then look no further, the Vybe Pro Model Massager brings a high power and low noise self recovery experience, the compact size and case makes it ideal for you
- You will feel like the Vybe Pro Model Massager really brings life back into those muscles so you can resume your favorite activities without constant pain
- Included with your Vybe Pro Model Massager is 8 massage heads to target specific muscle groups including a few options for deep tissue
If you’re looking for a quality massage gun that won’t break the bank, you may want to try out Exerscribe’s VYBE.
This model is lightweight and portable. Like the Hypervolt, the VYBE weighs only 2.5 pounds but can handle up to 60 pounds of pressure like the Theragun. For the price, it still gives an excellent, professional-grade massage.
The VYBE offers nine different speed settings and includes eight attachments for various targeted therapies. With an adjustable arm, you’ll be able to reach any place that needs some TLC.
The batteries can last up to three hours and are easily rechargeable.
The main downside to this model is the noise – it’s louder than the other options on our list. However, if noise doesn’t bother you, this might be a great option at a more affordable price point.
- High intensity and power
- Good battery life
- Variety of attachments and settings
- Louder than other models
Finding the right massage gun doesn’t have to be overwhelming. As you search, consider what your specific needs are. Do you want something portable to take with you as you travel? Or maybe you need intensely targeted muscle therapy. Whatever your needs are, you can find the right tool for your lifestyle – and be well on your way to better performance!
Last update on 2021-05-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API