If you are looking to enhance your workouts, particularly your glutes and hamstring, then you should definitely consider investing in a glute ham developer machine.
What’s a glute ham developer? we hear you say.
The glute ham developer machine is often found somewhere at the back of a gym and is one of the most misunderstood and misunderstood pieces of equipment. If you have looked at demonstrations of any of the exercises you can perform on it, you may be fooled into thinking they are simple. If you don’t perform them correctly, though, you could cause yourself an injury.
The funny thing is many people use GHDs for back extensions and sit-ups. That is all very well and good, as an effective way to develop and build your hip-flexor, back, core strength, and leaping ability. However, these machines were designed for for working on your hamstrings and glutes and one of the most effective ways to target those muscle groups is with GHD raises.
It doesn’t matter whether you are a CrossFit advocate, a powerlifter, or athlete of any kind, a GHD machine is liklely to be a smart investment. Sounds easy enough, doesn’t it? Apart from the fact that a simple search on Google reveals there are numerous GHD machines, all made by manufacturers who claim their products are the best.
Don’t worry though, as we are here to help you out. We have put together a guide to what we consider to be the best ham glute developer machines available right now.
York Barbell Glute Ham Developer
- The twin pad design maximizes user comfort and adjusts to 29 horizontal positions.
- Both the knee pads and the ankle stabilizer pads are adjustable vertically.
- Thigh roller pads are designed to maximize user comfort.
- Dimensions: Length 68 x Width 30 x Height 46
First in our guide is this high-end glute-ham developer from York Barbell. As it is commercial grade, you can expect to pay a little more for it than other models. However, that’s not to say there is no real justification for the price tag, as there are many great features you get the benefit from. For example, it is incredibly adjustable and can be altered to suit your body type, height, and even the desired exercise or movement you are looking to perform.
Compared to others that have a footplate that can only be moved back and forth through about 12 notches, with this machine, York Barbell has made it possible to set it to 29. What’s more, the footplate and the machine’s front rollers that are used for your thighs can all be independently moved, and vertically.
It is not just the adjustability that makes this a GHD machine you should seriously consider, though as it is also exceptionally sturdy and durable. With a tough base and reliable rubber feet to protect your flooring, this will last a long time. The rollers and pads are also comfortably shaped and as the numbered settings have been laser-etched on, you don’t need to struggle to count the notches.
Cap Barbell Strength Roman Chair
- Steel construction Roman Chair
- Perfect for home use
- 300-pound max capacity
- Great for GHD, Sit Up, Hip Back Extension
The first thing you will notice about the Cap Barbell Strength Roman Chair is the fact it does not have just one set of shin or ankle pads, but two sets of dual foam rollers that hold the lower half of your legs in place above and below them. This means you are less likely to accidentally move or lose balance while performing a tricky exercise or stretch.
Made from high-quality steel, this sturdy machine can provide support for weights of up to 300lbs. While the top section is adjustable via a lever that enables you to set the tilt to various angles, the lower section is held in place with a special circular pin and you can adjust its height.
The major downside that we noted with this model, however, is that it is not suitable for people who are taller than 6-feet.
Valor CB-29 Glute Ham Developer
- HEAVY DUTY- GHD constructed of solid steel 2” x 2” frame with angled support bars to prevent moving or shaking during use. Rubber stoppers of the base for added stability and to protect gym flooring.
- HIGH DENSITY PADDING- Dual layered padding to withstand intensive stress during workouts such as hip extensions, back extensions, and GHD sit ups. 2” thick knee platform supports body while in kneeling position before and after exercise. 8” thick thigh cushion for comfort.
- SAFE- Padded ankle rollers and steel foot plate allow for a secure fit while performing back extensions or sit-ups on this glute machine. 4.75” long grip handles on each side for extra assistance if needed.
- ADJUSTABLE- This Glute Ham Developer adjusts in 6 positions horizontally and 4 positions vertically. 2 grip handles on the front of the unit and 2 wheels on the back of the unit allow for easy mobility.
- ADDITIONAL- Includes 2 band pegs to add extra resistance if needed and plate storage bar in the back of the unit. Warranty, 3-year frame, 2-year pad, 1-year popper pins. GHD Situp Machine arrives in 2 separate boxes.
Valor has something of a reputation for producing mid-range priced models that are often hit and miss. One of the major flaws with Valor is their insistence on using lightweight steel rather than 11-gauge, which is not only heavier, but safer. Aside from the steel used in its construction, which realistically may or may not actually be a deal-breaker, you do get all the features you would expect from the best glute-ham developer machines.
Its long base has wheels that make it easier to transport, while there is a plate horn to give it a little extra weight for anchoring it down. The footplate can be adjusted both vertically and horizontally, which means you can have a versatile workout. Additionally, it has band pegs that allow you to add resistance to your exercises, increasing their effectiveness and enabling you to benefit from greater gains from doing less.
Marcy Adjustable Hypertension Roman Chair/Exercise Hyper Bench JD-3.1
- VERSATILE EQUIPMENT – This training bench can be used for a wide variety of abdominal workouts. It helps strengthen the lower back while targeting the glutes and hamstring muscles for superb definition. Carve out the rock-hard abs you’ve always wanted with this equipment that allows you to perform challenging workouts to develop your core.
- HYPEREXTENSION BENCH – The Marcy Roman Chair features a back hyperextension station that lets you position yourself correctly while performing a variety of movements. Sit and lean backward to develop your core or flip over to perform back workouts with targeted motions.
- INTEGRATED PADDING – This gym equipment comes with high-density foam, padded handles, adjustable two-foam leg holders, and polymer upholstery to accommodate a variety of workout regimens for your convenience and maximum comfort.
- PREMIUM QUALITY CONSTRUCTION – Made with a sturdy, heavy-duty tubing frame with a powder-coated finish, this equipment is guaranteed to stand the test of time! It won’t sway under your weight, as the structure’s solid frame and ergonomic style guarantee reliable stability for every workout regimen.
- GYM-AT-HOME EXPERIENCE – Whether you’d like to strengthen your core, ease back pain, improve your posture, or build your six-pack abs, the Marcy Roman Chair will bring you a safe and solid way to work on your fitness goals right in the comfort of home! Its sleek and compact design allows you to store it conveniently in a corner in conjunction with the rest of your exercise equipment. Simply tuck it into a small space when it’s not in use.
Finally, the last GHD machine model we want to highlight is one that is a lot more affordable than the others. Don’t let its RRP of less than 100 bucks put you off, though. It is very easy to set up and get started on. Something you will be looking for if you are looking to perform glute ham raises and are new to those kinds of movements and are not interested in anything too complicated.
The Marcy Adjustable Hypertension Roman Chair is all those things and more. Both the top and bottom sections are adjustable, relying on a lever and circular peg system respectively. Furthermore, as it is made from powder-coated high-quality steel and padded with premium-grade high-density foam, it is extremely safe and comfortable to use.
It is also smaller than many of the others currently available, meaning it will take up less floor and room space wherever you decide to set it up.
Just as exercise and working out are very personal things, the decision of which GHD machine is right for you will depend on your own preferences and taste. That was always at the forefront of our minds when we created this post, which is why you will have noticed that the models we picked suit different budgets and experience levels. It is our hope that with the shortlist of what we consider to be 4 of the best ham glute developer machines on the market, you will find the model that can really take your workouts to another level.
Last update on 2021-05-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API