When lifting heavy weights, a lot of your core energy comes from the abdominal area. That is why, when doing a strenuous tasks like picking something heavy from the ground, you hold your breath and tighten your stomach muscles. When performing a heavy lift, you back is also involved, that is why you will feel pain the next day. Pushing your muscles to the limit is very dangerous if you don’t prepare your body correctly.
Weightlifting is a fitness exercise that can cause physical injuries. A weightlifting belt helps you lift more safely plus more. Using a weight lifting belt ensures that the pressure due to straining is evenly distributed across your abdomen and lower back. One benefit of this is that it increases the strength and stability of your spine.
In many gyms, weight lifting belts are made available for the heavy lifters. That is because it requires a stable spine for the body to sustain a heavy overhead lift without collapsing. Additionally, a weight lifting belt enhances your core power and enables you to tap into your greatest strength.
What to Look for in a Weight Lifting Belt
Since a weight lifting belt connects the rib cage to the hips, one of the things to consider when buying these belts is the thickness. The thicker the belt, the better because it creates a more rigid block around the lower back area. This prevents movements around the waist when heavy lifting and it goes a long way to avoid your mid-section from bending sideways or twisting due to an unbearable weight. Most weight lifting belts are made from leather, synthetic or other tough fabric.
For your safety, you will want to ensure that the belt you choose is capable of serving you for a long time without breaking. Remember that when using a weight lifting belt, all the energy from your body is compressed and directed toward one goal, which is to lift a heavy weight. When the belt breaks while you are still in action, you can be in serious trouble. All that energy gets redirected to support the body and the abruptness of this can be dangerous.
Since the weight you are lifting will experience less resistance from the body, it is likely to come crashing down. While safety is the reason why you are getting a weight lifting belt, you need to ensure that it is safe enough to prevent accidents. When shopping around for a weight lifting belt, you may want to consider the reputable brands as they are the best pick with more positive reviews.
Best weightlifting belts include:
Fireteam Fit Weightlifting Belt
- SLIDE STOP BUCKLE WITH PRECISE ADJUSTABILITY: Unlike a leather belt with a predetermined set of holes, the hook and loop support strap lets you adjust to the exact tightness you need for optimal comfort and support. Further, you'll never worry about your belt coming unfastened during your PR's. Our buckle is designed to keep your belt secure during your heaviest lifts. Whether you are a Bodybuilder, Olympic Lifter, Powerlifter or a Cross Trainer, our belt won't let you down.
- DESIGNED FOR OPTIMAL COMFORT AND FUNCTION: With its lightweight contoured design, our weightlifting belt helps prevent injury from hyperextension or hyperflexion (forced arch) of your spine during weightlifting. By offering support to your abdominal wall and your lumbar vertebrae, this lifting belt promotes safe lifting technique for Back Squats, Power Cleans, Deadlifts, Clean and Jerks, Overhead Squats and even heavy lifting at work or at home.
- OUR BELTS SUPPORT MORE THAN YOUR BACK: We lift others up. Many of our belts are designed to show support for servicemen and women across the USA. We appreciate those who put their lives on the line for others. That's why $1 of every weightlifting belt sold here is given back to a non-profit for the support of US Combat Veterans. It's the least we can do.
- VETERAN-OWNED BUSINESS WITH A TRIED AND TRUE REPUTATION: We've been in business for 5 years and have vowed never to let our customers down. We think the continued health of our business is a testament to our unwavering customer service and a product we can stand behind.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: We've got your back! If your weightlifting belt ever breaks or becomes unsafe to use, we will replace it for free. No questions asked.
This is one of the most useful weightlifting belts because it can be used to perform both powerlifting and Olympic lifting. Additionally, users have found favor in using the belt to perform squats and kettlebell swinging. The belt is also designed to provide you with the ultimate comfort and support due to its shape. With a broader back and narrow sides, the Fireteam fit weightlifting belt puts a lot of emphasis in protecting your lower back from injury. It also has a double support around the lumber region plus a Valco support strap for you to adjust the tightness according to your preference. With 6 colors and 4 sizes to choose from, you will always find satisfactory comfort and protection from this incredible weightlifting belt.
Iron Ball Strength Powerlift
- ✅ PREMIUM 10MM THICK LEATHER: Our PowerLifting Belt features a 10mm thick select, exclusive suede leather material construction. The 10mm thickness is used by the top athletes around the world and has been proven to give the best support and flexibility a powerlifting belt needs. This weight lifting power belt is finished with top quality, fine suede providing non-slip surface.
- ✅ MAXIMUM SUPPORT: Our 10mm thick weight lifting belt conforms to your body shape sooner and is considered by some to be the best and most comfortable thickness for a weight lifting power belt. Our belts are also competition approved: USPA & IPL Approved Gear
- ✅ ADJUSTABLE DOUBLE PRONG: The double roller buckle prongs are precision made, custom zinc plated steel and are unmatched in strength and durability, and it looks great.
- ✅ HEAVY DUTY: With a height of 4" across its length, this belt ensures your back, abs and entire core are evenly stabilized for extra power and strength.
- ✅ SIZING CHART: Please use sizing chart in listing images to order the correct size. You need to measure your true waist size with a flexible tape and NOT order by pants size.
If you are looking for a secure weightlifting belt then this should be the perfect choice for you. Rated as the best double pronged weightlifting belt, the Iron Ball Strength Powerlift is 4 inches wide and 10mm thick to enhance the level of stiffness under pressure. The double buckled prongs are made from Zinc plated steel to enhance security. Although it is extra secure, the Iron Ball Strength Powerlift can be difficult to get on. Other than that, the metal buckle and the thick leather is an assurance that the belt can support heavy duty lifting.
Ader Leather Powerlifting Weight Belt
- 3/8" Thick, 4" wide, top quality leather with a soft suede lining for increased comfort.
- Easy to use closure system features a double-prong seamless roller buckle with a single loop to secure belt.
- Size: Medium (30-37")
- Color: Black
- Ships to all 50 States, APO, FPO, and P.O. Box
According to reviews, the Ader leather powerlifting weight belt is the top pick of many powerlifters. Measuring about 3/8’’ thick and 4’’ wide, this weightlifting belt is designed to provide the best back support for power lifting. It is made from leather but has a suede lining to enhance comfort and offer more support. The durable construction of this belt will keep you in perfect form. This way, you can prevent injuries and push yourself to the limits. It has a double prong roller buckle and a single loop to fasten and secure it on your waist area. It is also easy to adjust and durable enough to serve you for a longer time. Its tough nature makes it suitable to support other work outs like squats.
Valeo 4-Inch Padded Leather Lifting Belt
- TOP QUALITY - 4 inch wide cowhide leather with contoured design stabilizes back and abdomen during heavy lifting for superior support and for maintaining proper posture
- SUPERIOR COMFORT - Suede lining covers foam lumbar pad and double reinforced stitched edges provide comfort during strenuous lifts. Double-prong roller buckle and double loops secure belt tab for perfect fit
- STABILIZE YOUR BACK & REDUCE STRESS - Alleviate pain and reduce muscle stress to protect yourself against injuries and to stabilize your spine
- IMPROVE YOUR LIFTING PERFORMANCE FOR ALL SPORTS - Perfect for weight and power lifting, gym workouts, bodybuilding, squats, dead lifts, cleans, snatches, and CrossFit
Leather is the name of the game and the Valeo 4-inch padded leather lifting belt doesn’t disappoint. From the user opinions, this is the best weightlifting belt for lumber support since it is designed with a foam lumber pad covered in suede. Also, the Valeo 4-inch padded leather lifting belt promises an instant improvement in your work out since its size is manageable measuring 4’’ wide and ¼ inches thick. Added to its double prong roller buckle, this weightlifting will assure you the perfect support and security. It is made from cowhide thus it strong, durable and resistant to high tension.
Harbinger Women’s Nylon Weightlifting Belt
- Ultralight, flexible nylon weightlifting belt with 5-inch wide support panel, designed specifically for women
- Foam core with soft, breathable, plush tricot lining comfortably supports the back and abdominals during heavy lifts
- Provides the ideal degree of support while allowing full range of motion for use during weightlifting and functional strength training workouts
- Heavy-gauge steel tensioning buckle allows for quick and easy customized fit
- Available in three waist sizes: XS (24-28 inches), S (28-32 inches), M (32-36 inches)
Yes, women also do weightlifting! Harbinger have done a great job trying to appeal to each body type. This is a more women specific belt designed to support the female lower back and abdomen during heavy weight lifting. It is available in three sizes that is 24-28’’, 28-32’’ and 32-36’’. Unlike the normal weight lifting belts, the Harbinger women’s nylon weightlifting belt is 5’’ wide and comes with a heavy gauge buckle that allows for quick and easy adjusting. Its ultra-light and flexible nylon material makes your workout more comfortable with less work to do.
A weightlifting belt is just as important as any strength-training workout equipment hence you need to ensure that they are the right quality and most importantly safe.
It is wise to incorporate a weightlifting belt into your weightlifting routine. The right belt will improve your performance and provide you with better long-term back support.